Chapter 74: Fate (2)

It is not often that a man of such mental fortitude as Kashi of the Daebens gives in to his emotions. But that night was one such night as the proud daeben could do naught but tremble, consumed by fright borne from the malignant glare of one he understood was his superior both in strength of mind and body – an opponent he had no hope against.

Rider glanced from the daeben to the silent mask, heaven, and earth still against their reunion. He knew not their relationship but could sense that it was one of great importance – a fate that could change the world itself. He was not alone in his line of thought, for across the continent, many bore witness to the terrifying mask, its owner seemingly less interested in entering the world, and more in an object that had grabbed his interest.

Cathek was one of such observers, and he too could not understand the reason for his Lord's strange actions. He knew the truths of their revered god and his indifference to the affairs of humanity. What then could have captured his gaze so much that he had even halted his advance on the earth?

A shadow appeared next to him.

"Find it!" Cathek ordered, and it promptly disappeared.

To further compound his increasing irritation, a multitude of mandalas appeared above them from which he knew they would arrive, and the portal from which Razznik looked into their world destabilized, slowing his entrance into their world.

"Graaa!"

Skyrm defiant cry drew his eyes, which expanded ever so slightly at what he saw.

Skyrm had bitten one of his fingers off, the sharp pain temporarily restoring his faculties. He panted heavily, each breath a struggle against the poison within that sought to take over his body.

"Why do you persist, Great One?" Cathek questioned. "Rest. In a few months, you will regain enough strength to expel that virus."

"A- urhg!" Skyrm winced. "And what would become of this world... this realm?"

"It would be as it should be," was Cathek's reply.

Skyrm closed his eyes in thought. "I care neither for this world, nor its inhabitants."

"Then you would not inter-"

"However," Skyrm said, cutting him off. His voice was like the last embers of a flame, smoldered, yet ready to burst with the slightest excitation. "She cared for this world and its inhabitants. Because of who I am, I can neither mourn nor exact revenge for her sake. But..." His scales burned black, then fell off, revealing a dirty gold interior. "I can make it my charge to protect the realm she loved against all."

"You still possess this much power. As expected of our Lord's herald. However..." The air around the fox-man grew cold with whispers of death. "You would betray your Durkin?"

A giant mandala appeared behind Skyrm, who stood majestic, despite the apparent corruption he suffered. His answer was harrowing, almost sorrowful. "I have no Durkin. The only man I called that met his end on the battlefields of K'iol."

"You-"

"Come mortal. Let us see who Fate graces today."