Chapter 3: A Whole New World

Undisclosed Location.

5:50 p.m. Monday, 6th April 2043.

The sun had begun its slow descent by the time the tour ended. The exposition trip took the gamers through the facility, which they realized was large enough to fit a town. The facility was divided into four major sectors and one minor sector. In order, they were: Residential, Research, Learning, Restricted, and finally Entertainment. The building placements were not strict, and it was common to find some residential buildings in the research and learning sectors and vice-versa.

Unlike the rest, the restricted section was cut off from the remaining sectors by an exaggeratedly tall concrete wall that shunned all visitors.

The buildings and structures under the recreational sector were scattered around, and thus could not be deemed a significant sector of its own. It seemed the creators of the compound did not want its inhabitants feeling overly pressured by work, so they had included various recreational facilities, such as a small amusement park, game stores, libraries, and several others.

During the tour, some of the participants inquired about their exact location. Yukino revealed they were still in Japan, but she was not at liberty to give out their precise location. Also, all correspondence with the outside world required the company's approval. This revelation caused a heavy cloud to be cast over the group. Although they had agreed to come here knowing the circumstances, who knew how long it would be until they began to miss their family and friends?

Yukino sensed the shifting mood and quickly announced the participants' starting monthly salary to be ¥150,000 to a cacophony of loud cheers. Many of the participants were handpicked from gaming studios where they labored to trade in-game currency for real-life money. Most months, they would be happy if they made a profit of a few thousand yen, yet they were going to earn salaryman level remunerations for gaming!

How could they not be excited!?

The most crucial information Yukino repeatedly stressed during the tour was the importance of the smartphones. To say it was their lifeline would not be too much of a stretch: it contained relevant information regarding events and announcements in the facility, was their sole means of communication, and acted as their ID for both human personnel and security systems.

Suzuki ran over all the information in his head as he laid on his bed and stared at the ceiling, noticing the absence of a single sword. It was strange how the drawing he once saw as familiar and calming now filled him with a sense of dread.

A buzz shook Suzuki out of his head. He picked up the smartphone and sighed as he read the announcement. The game was to start at 6:00 p.m. as advertised, and it was expected that the participants should be plugged into the Virtual Drive by 5:55 p.m. as it would leave enough time for system calibrations. Suzuki glanced at the time at the top corner of the screen and realized it was already 5:50 p.m.

Suzuki stood at a crossroad. He had two choices: participate or not. If he chose to play the game, he would be going back on his decision to quit gaming for an extended period. Suzuki did not hate gaming, but so much of the past three years had been spent in the virtual world, he'd barely had time to be himself. Suzuki had no illusions. Should he choose to join the game, his time as 'Suzuki' would once again be severely reduced, replaced by whatever persona he decided to play.

However, what was the other choice? Not participate? First, Suzuki had no guarantee the company would actually release him. Even if Genaco chose to allow him to return home, what would he be returning to? A school system he barely tolerated, fighting on the streets, and parents who would sell him off at a moment's notice. Wait, that last part already happened.