Chapter 164: Darian Alshmeer

Kirkcour Woods

14th Banem 1092

Darian pulled out his spear from the marilith's forehead and watched the lifeless beast fall to the ground with anguish-filled eyes. Why? Why had he been the only one to survive? His friends were slaughtered by something like this just because they lacked power! Something like...

Tap.

Darian jerked as he felt a hand tap his left flank. He looked down, meeting Kashi's mirth-filled gaze.

The daeben squeezed out a strained smile as he regarded the centaur warrior's lifeless eyes. Kashi recognized those eyes all too well. Suzuki had the same look in his eyes for several weeks after the accident. "Survivor's Guilt?"

"Guilt... yes," Darian murmured. "I am responsible for the deaths of so many fine warriors. My selfishness has cost many mothers, their sons, and daughters." Darian's right hand tightly gripped the spear's shaft. "This sin, I will never be able to redeem myself." Melancholy and resignation darkened the centaur's gaze as his grip loosened. "I suppose it's a good thing then that I will not live much longer."

Kashi's brow shot up. "You're not thinking of suicide, are you?"

"Haha, no Kashi-dono," Darian denied with a bitter chuckle. He turned, so he faced the daeben and humbly bowed. "On behalf of the Lymar tribe, I humbly thank you for your assistance. It may be impertinent of me to ask you this after you've just risked your life to save mine, but my tribe is situated one-hundred kilometers south-east of this location." Darian indicated the direction with his left hand. "Would you please find my father, the chief, and give him my spear. If you can find it in your heart, I also ask that you please lend your strength to save them from this dire plight."

"What about you?" Kashi asked. "Why can't you take me there yourself?"

Darian shook his head. "I fear my injuries are too severe. I've done all I could to stay alive long enough to see this beast slain. Never in my wildest dreams did I think I will get the chance to slay it with my own hands. This is more than enough. I can die now with no regrets."

Kashi's eyes narrowed as he regarded the bowing warrior. Eventually, he sighed and stated, "No. I will not help you."

"K-Kashi-dono!" Darian shouted in panic, but he still did not raise his head. "Please, if nothing else, at least take this spear to my father. The village needs this spear if it is to survive the coming storm."

"Why should I?" Kashi retorted with a snort. "I could just as easily wait for you to die and take the spear for myself. It does look pretty powerful. Don't you think so, Shadow?"

"I agree," Shadow stated as he walked up to the daeben's side. He did not know what Kashi was playing at, but he would not be the one to get in the daeben's way. "Larsial, what do you think?"

"That's a rare Holy-Attributed spear," Larsial analyzed as she walked to Kashi's other side. "The fact he was using that to fight the marilith for so long without a single crack on the blade suggests it's at least legendary tier. It might even be Divine-Tier. It would explain why he's so eager to take it back to the village. It might be their protective talisman."

Kashi and Shadow looked over to Larsial with shock and confusion written all over their faces. Oi! Oi! Oi! Are you trying to make him hate us!?

Larsial playfully stuck out her tongue in reply.

Darian's head was still bowed, so he could not see the interaction between the trio. He gritted his teeth and tightly clasped the spear. Yeah, this was the truth of the world. Who would choose to risk their life when there was such a massive benefit for doing absolutely nothing?