Chapter 199: The Merchant God's Test

Brass Close, Meilfour.

11:20 p.m. 17th Banem 1092.

Miote blew into his cupped hands, staving off the cold as he stood in front of a large, two-storied building with a large signboard on which was written, 'BANK.'

This, as of yet unnamed building, was the intended site for the new bank. Miote looked over his shoulder at the men and women patiently waiting for the big event and swallowed hard.

Everything Miote had been working on for the past couple of months had led up to this exact moment. Countless sleepless nights were poured into forming the contracts and stipulations needed to make this a reality. The chesch had forged alliances with numerous merchants, both Residents and Summoned alike, leading to this momentous occasion.

"So, tonight is the night, I suppose."

Miote looked to his right, eyes widening as Damah Dumm stepped out of the crowd and walked up to his side. "Yes. I am thankful for your support thus far."

"Do not thank me," Damah Dumm refuted with a shake of his head. "I am a merchant, and thus only invested for the profits."

Miote looked at Damah Dumm with mixed feelings. Despite their enviable income, the Hopeful Maggots' coffers were seriously stretched thin due to their numerous projects. Hence, aside from the Royal Treasury, the Maggots relied heavily on Damah Dumm's funding.

Because they relied on this man, Miote and Leila took it upon themselves to launch an investigation into his background. However, strangely, every search turned up nothing aside from the fact that he was extremely wealthy and had a hand in numerous businesses around the continent. Nothing about his origins, motivations, or personal life was known, even by his business partners.

"Regardless, you took a chance on us, and I will forever be grateful for that," Miote stated as he pushed the thoughts to the back of his mind. Damah Dumm's origins did not matter as long as the coin was good. Furthermore, the Hopeful Maggots' dependence on outside funding would soon come to an end. This bank would see to that.

"Haha, I know your type," Dumm observed with a laugh. "I will accept the thanks before this turns into an argument." The mertian's eyes turned to a stack of boxes behind Miote and then back to the chesch. "What do we await?"

Miote groaned and accidentally raised his right hand, only to realize he wasn't wearing a watch. "Kashi. My guildmaster." the chesch admitted. "I just spoke to him. He should be here so—"

Vwooom!

Miote paused as a pillar of light appeared in front of him. The light grew larger and brighter and then suddenly disappeared, leaving nine Maggots in its wake. Kashi, Lunette, Shadow, Leila, Syèl, Shokō, Absalon, Jade, and Larsial appeared before the crowd with linked hands and stunned faces. They quickly let go of each other, slightly embarrassed by the unexpected attention.

"You couldn't have teleported us somewhere more conspicuous?" Shadow sarcastically scolded Kashi as he stepped behind his sister.

"I didn't know there'd be so many people," Kashi defended himself and then looked behind Lunette. "Of course," groaned the daeben as he realized Shadow had somehow disappeared.

Kashi shook his head and then walked toward Miote with the other Maggots. He glanced at the mass of people behind the chesch and then looked at Miote with question in his eyes. "What's going on? What's with the crowd?"

"Good publicity," Miote replied and shrugged. "If my guess is correct, this might cause a scene, and the more people who witness it, the faster our bank will be legitimized in the public eye."