Chapter 196: Trains & Boats!

The Emporium,

Aygorzi, Merriheim.

8:34 a.m. 17th Banem 1092.

The entrances to Aygorzi's underground city were spread around the city as subway-like stairs that led beneath the earth to a network of tunnels. Kashi, the Maggots, and Brock (who tagged along out of curiosity toward the underground city) walked down the nearest subway.

Kashi examined the glossy finished walls, surprised by the change. A week ago, these walls were rough and stony like any other underground passage. But this time, it seemed work had been done to not only smoothen out the walls but also apply a layer of finish to make them more appealing to the eyes.

The passage's lighting had also changed. Previously, it was lit by torches, creating a dark, dreary atmosphere. But now, overhead magelights flooded the passage with light. So much so that Kashi doubted he was really walking in L.N.E.

It felt like he was in a subway in the real world.

But Kashi's shock had only just begun. The final step opened up to a wide platform in front of which there was a long depression and then a wall at the other side. Kashi looked to his left and noticed the depression led into a tunnel, and a quick glance to the right confirmed it was the same at the other side.

This... It really looked like...

Not believing his own conjecture, Kashi walked to the edge of the platform, where he saw a familiar yellow line. Ignoring it, he looked over at the depression, and just as expected, laid within the depression were twin sets of train tracks like an actual subway.

While Kashi wondered what was going on, a dwarf walked out of a room nearby and then ran up to them, eyes glowing when he saw the daeben at the forefront. "Kashi-dono!" he greeted with enthusiasm. "Are you here to ride the train?"

"Train?" Kashi questioned, eyes wide. "It's completed?"

"A few prototypes," replied the dwarf with an excited grin. "The project is in its final stage. We've been running simulations using the underground networks to ensure safety and test the trains' limits." The dwarf patted his chest with pride as he announced, "Just tell me where you want to go, and we'll get you there in the blink of an eye."

"We are looking for a member of our guild, Jade. She's a mage that was working on the—"

"Jade-sama!" the dwarf exclaimed, unable to hide the excitement in his voice. "Of course! There isn't a dwarf from the forge who doesn't know Jade-sama. We would never have gotten this far so fast if it weren't for her."

"Uh, yes," Kashi replied, with confusion. Sama? What did Jade do for these obstinate dwarfs to revere her so highly? "She should be at the forge, right?"

"Not exactly," the dwarf refuted with a shake of his head. "Jade-sama has a personal workshop near the forge." The dwarf scratched his chin in thought and then said, "But I suppose the forge is the nearest stop. Yeah, let's do that. The train'll drop you off at the forge. Any dwarf there can point you in the direction of her workshop."

Kashi stared at the dwarf and then the tracks. Unable to hide his curiosity, he asked, "How does it work?" Even though he had designed the train, seeing it in reality still floored the daeben. He had to know if there were any interesting changes.

The dwarf grinned as he beckoned to them, "Come with me. I'll show ya."

The dwarf led the Maggots through the door he came out of into a small control room. The room, which was barely large enough for all of them to fit in, housed a large screen on the wall opposite the entrance. Light flashed along several lines drawn across the screen with a marker as if following a pattern.