Chapter 237: Transcendent Meeting

Nama Woods, Rosendun.

7:41 p.m. 10th Zelyr 1092.

8 Days to World's End.

Flap! Flap!

High, in the skies above Nama Woods, a massive black silhouette darted through the clouds, its irregular movement suggesting it was a living creature. A strange giggling sound escaped the silhouette as it cut through the clouds and then sped down to meet an awaiting pale-faced man.

Rider smiled as he examined the condor wings sprouting out of Zuri's back. The child's Beast Assimilation skill was progressing nicely. Perhaps it was only a matter of time before she achieved Full Body Assimilation?

Zuri chuckled as she swooped around Rider. "So, where are we going now?"

"We need to see the world's biggest pretender." Rider ruffled Zuri's hair and then said, "Follow me." With those words, Rider swiftly descended, followed closely by Zuri.

Vwoosh!

Rider and Zuri cut through the dense trees and then landed in a small clearing. Zuri curiously looked around, eyes widening when she spotted Fladnag's little treehouse. She then looked to her right. There, she saw Fladnag seated at a table with a chair opposite him. A giant treant, which she would later learn as Yanakal stood by the wizard's side, gazing at a bird on one of its branches.

Fladnag set down his cup and then turned to look at the visitors. His bushy brows rose when he noticed Zuri. "Rider. I did not think you would come with company. Are you not the lonely type?"

"I prefer to be alone, kid." Rider snorted as he walked over. "This is Zuri, by the way. She is a Summoned."

"Summoned, huh?" Fladnag gave Zuri a once-over. He then turned to look at Rider with a glint in his eyes. "You chose her to be your successor? Interesting choice. I always thought you would reserve that for the champion."

Rider shook his head. "Kashi's path is different. I doubt he would let me influence it much." He looked at Zuri, who had walked over to view Yanakal from up close. "She, on the other hand, has both the skills and willingness to learn."

Fladnag glanced at Zuri. "Fine. Maybe you are right." The wizard then fished out four scrolls from within his robe. He placed the scrolls on the table and looked at Rider. "I assume you are here for the teleportation matrixes?" When Rider nodded, he pointed, "Everything you need is here." Fladnag separated the scrolls into two parts, in a 2-1 formation. "You should know how to use this, but just in case." He pointed at the first pair. "These will mark and then transport a small army to the plains surrounding Oni Hill. I've already locked the coordinates, so do not worry about the accuracy." He then pointed at the last scroll. "This one will send everyone marked by the first matrixes back to their point of origin. Assuming things go to shit, you can at least save the warriors for a bit longer."

"Thanks. These will be a big help." Rider took the scrolls and put them away. A delightful shout caught their attention, and they turned to see Zuri laughing as Yanakal swung her this way and that. A small smile spread on Rider's face. "That's what we're fighting for, is it not? A future where the kids can smile in peace."

Fladnag snorted. "Human nature dictates that another war will just spring up in the future." The old wizard frowned and looked at the murky tea. "I'm only doing this to sock Razznik a good one. Even if just once. Well, I'll be over the moon if the bastard croaked, but that seems unlikely." He sighed and looked at Zuri. "At the very least, we stagnant fakes will never be capable of defeating him."

"Maybe not, but we can raise the generation who can." Rider's eyes flashed as he thought of the people he had met along this journey. Aside from the obvious Sonic and Brilith, he met quite a few secret individuals, both Summoned and Resident alike. Many could give Kashi a run for his money in terms of potential and strength.