Chapter 28: Murder 101

Shokō and Syèl surveyed the loot left behind by the draugr army and Krogh. The basic skeletons had nothing valuable. They left behind rusted swords and shields. Since neither of them was a Blacksmith, they could not fix these up and such would not sell for much. Krogh, on the other hand, left a treasure trove of items. These included two katanas, a coat, a ring, and an oddly shaped stone.

Neither Shokō nor Syèl had the [Identify] skill so they could not tell what the ring did. Luckily, the coat and katanas were already identified.

 Luckily, the coat and katanas were already identified

Syèl took the jacket and immediately equipped it, pleased at its warmth

Syèl took the jacket and immediately equipped it, pleased at its warmth. It was a long red jacket with a matching cowl. Its ends were tattered by design to give the illusion of burning flames when they flapped in the wind.

Shokō picked up one of the damned katanas and marveled at its black scabbards and grip that was of a silver metal set with black pearls. The sword's guard was styled to resemble a hand with a gray-colored material inlaid in the fingernails, which curled protectively over the wielder's own, adorned by a pommel shaped like a pyramid. She drew out the sword and sliced the air with its keen blade.

"Heavy... This is a magnificent blade," Shokō remarked as she sheathed it and strapped the other to her belt.

Syèl and Shokō had a short game of rock-paper-scissors to determine the owner of the unidentified ring, which the swordswoman won, much to Syèl's chagrin. She placed the ring into her inventory, making a mental note to see an appraiser as soon as possible.

Syèl bent to pick up the stone, but it suddenly glowed bright and shot into the air, causing him to reel back and enter a combat stance.

"Hahaha!" Krogh's voice rang out from the stone. "To think I was beaten. I applaud your strength, travelers."

"You're not dead?" Syèl asked, trepidation in his voice.

"I was never alive to begin with," Krogh corrected. "I perished several years ago. My soul was merely trapped in this soul stone."

"You said you would show us the way out?" Shokō implored. If she felt odd talking to a glowing stone, it did not show on her face.

"Ah, yes. I do not have much time. Place the stone on my throne," Krogh said.