Chapter 220: The Cursed Seven (2)

"The fall of Yggdrasil began on a midsummer's night. I still recall it quite clearly to this day. A full moon hung above, bathing the world in its warm glow. The stars sparkled ever so beautifully in the night sky, like little diamonds upon a dark drape. All was peaceful beneath Yggdrassil's beautiful branches, the outside world's chaos a foreign notion to the sacred land.

Unfortunately, the blissful atmosphere would not last, for, seemingly out of nowhere, a dense, evil aura blanketed the city, carrying with it a choking sensation of death and destruction. In my time, I have come across several evil beings. Vampires, demons, lichs, devils; Name it, I have seen it. But never, not once in my life, have I ever experienced the sort of dread I felt that night.

The pure destructive nature of that aura was like nothing I had ever felt. It was not a matter of power but intent. The twisted, dark, vile presence promised death to all who experienced it. In fact, several people fell ill upon contact with that aura.

Fearing the worst, I, who at the time was the chieftain of the city, rushed to the city gates with a fierce delegation to confront the source of this evil.

We had expected an army of undead – maybe zombies or demons. However, we were shocked to find a single man stood at the city gates. This man, though, filled us with more dread than if we had to face the entire world. That's right. It was none other than Razznik Y'Terlow.

He had been missing for months following Aethir's denouncement. But he suddenly showed up on our doorstep. As you can understand, we collectively cursed our bad luck, wondering what could have possibly brought this calamity to our doorstep. Surprisingly, we didn't need to speak before Razznik made his demand.

And what an outrageous demand it was too.

I still recall his exact words to this day. The sheer arrogance and effrontery of it all. "Five Tasks. I'll accomplish any Five Tasks for you. In return, I desire a branch of Yggdrasil." Now, sitting here, listening to me, you might think this was some sort of trade or bargain.

It was not.

Razznik shamelessly demanded a branch of Yggdrasil, knowing full well no one had ever received one. Leaves might have been given out, but to cut off a branch was beyond blasphemous! This was an extension of the gods! However, his tone of voice, his eyes, and his overall aura revealed he was not here to negotiate. He had stated his terms. Now, it was in our best interests to either agree to those terms or risk losing the city to his rage.

Fearing the worst, I quickly explained that I could not make decisions in regards to Yggdrassil. The World Tree was handled by the Treants. Now, before I go any further, Sophie, you are familiar with the Treants' origin, but I wager the same cannot be said of you, Zuri.

Ha. Do not fret. I expected as much. Most people do not know the Treants' real history. You see, Treants are living trees. They look and grow like trees, but they have surprising intellect, although they may take ages to come to a decision.

Now, did the term 'living trees' ring any bells?

Yes, Zuri. Treants were born from Yggdrassil. Every couple of years, a branch of Yggdrasil would gain sentience. This branch would then break off from the main tree and fall to a clearing below. At first, there was one. Then two. Now there are thousands. Those beautiful miracles of nature were called Treants... And I caused their extinction.

...

Okay, back to the story, girls. So, as I said earlier, I took Razznik to Yggdrasill's trunk, where the Treants made their home. My hope was that they would have a way to convince Razznik to back off. I certainly lacked the courage to do so. If it were a one-on-one fight, I might have taken him on, but there was an entire city of people to protect. I could not risk their lives to satisfy my selfish pride.