Chapter 116: Inside

Suzuki rushed through the tunnel connecting the second stage to the third, optical drives working at maximum capacity to capture any movement. Having faced the arduous second stage, he could not help but be curious regarding the third stage's test.

This curiosity was further enhanced by the increased difficulty of the second stage towards the end. Towards the end, the terrain became more complicated and filled with more cleverly placed obstacles. Even Suzuki could not keep up his starting blistering pace and instead, had to slow down and run rapid simulations in his mind of possible attack points to counter them.

Suzuki was thankful he picked the lightweight Gladiator as not only did it increase his speed, but the sound of its footsteps were almost non-existent, allowing him to ghost through some sections and ambush the unaware robots.

Unfortunately, upon entering the third stage, Suzuki instantly realized those attributes were useless. If the first test checked reaction speed, the second tested combat zone ingenuity. However, this third test seemed to try something else altogether—something every soldier required.

Gazing at the dozens of robots armed that filled the auditorium sized hall, armed with different sorts of melee weaponry and the turrets that sporadically popped in and out of the walls without a hint of a set schedule, Suzuki's conjecture was solidified by a holographic message that appeared in front of him.

Destroy As Many As You Can!

A simple message by all accounts, but it caused the being in the Gladiator to burst with unabashed excitement, fingers rapidly clenching and releasing in turns. With an excited growl reminiscent of the King of Beasts, Suzuki shot into the room.

The Gladiator, katana drawn, skillfully deflected all pellets in its path before slamming into the crowd of robots. However, what the robots lacked in speed and strength, they more than made up for with intelligence. Unlike a mass mob that would try to squish the Gladiator between themselves, the robots quickly spread out, forming a dense net around their adversary. This was to reduce the chance of Suzuki using the meat (well, in this case, metal) wall as a shield from other attackers.

Suzuki, noticing their actions, inwardly shook his head with resigned acknowledgment. If the coalition forces that faced Razznik had done something similar, they might have lasted longer. They would still have lost, but not as poorly as they did. However, despite the strategy's apparent advantages, there was one major flaw. Which was, with the spaces between the robots, Suzuki had more room to maneuver, and at most, he would be facing at most three to four simultaneous attacks at any one second as long as he was always in motion.

There was a slight momentary pause as the robots stared down the Gladiator. Blade raised, Suzuki was as still as an immovable mountain, sound receptors at full power to catch even the slightest movement.

The stalemate seized as a robot to his left dashed towards him with a two-meter long halberd in hand. Suzuki swiftly brought his blade down, its edge clashing with the halberd at an angle. With a slight jerk of the wrist, the halberd's momentum was redirected to his back, forcing another to retreat. Suzuki rotated towards the robot, dodging a downward swipe from another. Sparks flew as the missed strike slammed the halberd behind him to the ground.

Not one to miss an opportunity, Suzuki's sword swung upwards, disconnecting the robot's hand from its halberd. The stunned robot was not allowed a moment to process the shock as Suzuki's left fist tore into its brain and permanently shut it down, and his tail launched the spear into the air.

Suzuki sheathed the katana, using his bare fists to redirect the outstretched blade of an onrushing robot blows such that it ended up in the chest of another to his right. Suzuki jumped onto the edge of the sword and grabbed the halberd he had launched earlier. Like a starved snake, the weapon emptied the heads of both robots before they could react.