Chapter 121: War Assembly

Outer Ring,

Aygorzi.

Kashi, whose war with Drixlia had ended in an inconclusive draw on account of both parties' stubbornness, with Kira by his side, led the proud stallion by the reins as he made his way through camps set up by Absalon's army. The daeben was doubly impressed by the army's discipline, even going so far as to set up their camps in tight formation, such that in the event of trouble, they could quickly rush out to confront the enemy.

Absalon's larger tent, erected at the formation's center, strengthened Kashi's suspicion that Absalon was somehow related to the army in real life. That or the red mage spent a lot of time on strategy and history books.

After a solemn promise not to disappear once again, Kashi left Drixlia and entered the tent with Kira.

Absalon and four Council of Six members stood around a war table, each offering their opinions on the map placed atop it. The red mage sensed the daeben's entry and looked up from the map, a sharp glint in his eyes. "Glad you could join us."

"Apologies for the delay, General." Kashi nodded as he walked up to the table. A glance at the map revealed it to be a detailed map of Merriheim. "If you could please brief me on what you have covered so far?"

"Naturally," Absalon agreed. He pointed to the map. "Before that, I must remind you to thank a certain Muko in Meilfour. Once he heard we were Maggots, he insisted we take this map with us and provided a detailed description of the powers in Merriheim at this time. We might have arrived sooner, but I deemed it necessary to delay a few days to adequately receive as much information from him and verify as much as possible before leaving. If my judgment offends you, I offer my sincere apologies," said Absalon, placing his right arm across his chest with a short bow.

"Heh, it's fine," Kashi said with a wave of his hand. "In fact, things might have been bad if you arrived early and spooked the Order before my plan could come into effect."

Absalon raised his head, a small smile on his lips. "I see you still retain your schemes." Till the day he died, the red mage would never forget how a small party played two major armies for fools to acquire the largest profit.

"I prefer to think of them as strategies," Kashi scoffed with a slight smile of his own. Redirecting his gaze to the map, he returned to the topic. "So, what did Muko-san have to say?"

"Like we originally guessed, Merriheim is run by several independent chiefs, each leading small tribes on an average of 500-1000 men strong. Of these several clans, there are three which stand above all, led by a Lycan called Olgar Rigz, a merrite by the name of Brock, and the greatest of the three, Sheri Orthana, a halben who crossed over from Mònòch roughly fifteen years ago."

"Sheri leads an army roughly 5000-man strong," The chetah, Asha called from behind as she entered the tent with Kaga. When news reached her of an army in the outer ring belonging to the Maggots, she decided to take a look. "Thankfully, she's based on the left claw, so we should still have a few weeks if she wishes to move an army like that size over to this side." She cast a gaze at Absalon. "Not every army has enough horses to satisfy all its members, after all."

Absalon inwardly chuckled. Who would believe him if he said there was an island filled with nothing but massive warhorses of different breeds south of Rosendun. His men's mounts were runts compared to the rest still on the island. Although these thoughts passed his mind, his expression was as straight as ever. "That is the assumption that they travel by land. If they were to cross by boat, I wager that distance could be shortened to a few days at the most."

Asha shook her head. "That's impossible. No boat can cross that river. The monsters within would destroy it to shreds."

"That is not quite so accurate," Xafier interrupted. His eyes held a worried light as he stared at the river on the map. "During the war, the daebens had us build these ships they called Deathsworn to cross the river. Although they rarely see use on the mainland, I hear they are still heavily in use in Serisis and Elysium Cove."