Chapter 31: Leaving Ranad

Ranad.

8:14 a.m. 17th Peniel 1091.

"W-w-w-what is this?!" Elecurb screamed, eyes bulging out of his sockets as he stared at the pile of loot that sat on the town square. He was not the only one dumbfounded by the prize. Over half of the village's population gathered around, pointing and whispering to each other.

Kashi smiled, pleased by their reactions. Once he had woken from his slumber, he had led some of the men to the hideout to claim the treasure in the underground chamber. "It is yours to do with as you see fit."

Elecurb blinked in shock as he stared at the loot. "But this is too much. Why didn't you take this for yourself?"

'Inventory space.' Kashi put on a show of remorse as he explained, "How could I possibly carry out such a selfish act when people as good and kind as you need it much more than I do?"

"Oh, such kindness!" Elecurb cried as he fell to his knees, tears streaming down his cheeks. "To think I ever harbored such unfair hatred towards you. I am ashamed."

Kashi got down on one knee and placed his hand on the elder's shoulder. "Remember what you said to me: stand proud. This prosperity was born from your desire to save your village without letting pride or fear get in your way."

Moved by his words, Elecurb stood straight and smiled brightly. "We will forever be in your debt, Kashi-dono."

"Consider us even. You saved my partner last night." Kashi rose to his feet and looked towards the east, his features creased in apprehension and worry.

Elecurb sensed the daeben's unease and asked, "Where is it you're headed?"

Kashi explained, "My journeys will take me to Lew Creek, where I hope to get a sturdy boat."

"Why Lew Creek?"

"It is the closest town," Kashi said. "I wish to wipe out the remaining pirates around the Atled Delta, else they might bring reinforcements to retake your town."

"Sweet Mera," Elecurb exclaimed in admiration. "You would go that far to aid us?"

'Of course not. I want the pirates' loot.' Once again, Kashi spoke the opposite of his thoughts. "My conscience would not rest easy if I left you to their mercy. I will wipe them out as swiftly as possible."

"There are hundreds of them," Elecurb exclaimed. "You wish to go alone?"

The daeben struck an impressive figure as he professed with firm determination and courage, "If that is what it takes."

"No! I will not allow that!" Elecurb adamantly refused. "You will be accompanied by twenty of our finest."

Kashi shook his head. "I cannot possibly separate that many from their families after they just reunited."

"Then how about ten men?"

"It is—"

"Five then, and that's as low as I'll agree to go."

Kashi sighed, then lit up with a bright smile. "If you insist so much, it would be callous of me to refute anymore." The real truth was that he did not want to lead too many people because of the decrease in EXP points during hunts, the issues of loot, and most importantly, his plan to secretly obtain anything of actual value among the pirates' treasure.

"I am glad to hear that. I will summon those who will accompany you," Elecurb said. Then he suggested, "In the meantime, I suggest you speak with Cera."

Kashi struggled to remember the name, but nothing came to mind. "My apologies. I am not familiar with that name."

"Ah, yes. Cera is one of the women you rescued yesterday," Elecurb revealed. "She says she has something important to tell you."