Chapter 218: Holy Mother

At the heart of Ederwood sat a magnificent wonder of the world. Thousands from all across the continent traveled to Ederwood to witness this spectacle, most of whom were ardent skeptics until they saw it with their own eyes. This spectacle was none other than the 'tree city' Ygg, located within a tree stump.

Yes. Unbelievable as it may seem, there existed a tree stump large enough to house an entire at Ederwood. Legends claimed the tree stump once held up Yggdrassil, the ancient World Tree. Unfortunately, Yggdrasil had been cut down by a tyrant, the blow devastating enough to rid it of 99% of its vitality.

Strangely, the remaining 1% proved to be extremely potent. Plants grown within a few miles of the trunk experienced exponential growth and miraculous effects. Herbs which could only heal small injuries became potent enough to regrow entire limbs. Animals that grazed on these plants were much more intelligent than their counterparts in other countries. It was a miracle which the denizens of Ederwood decided to capitalize on.

One day, due to the constant wars enveloping the continent, a wisben suggested burrowing into the tree trunk to protect themselves from invaders. The plan was solid. The tree was nigh-invulnerable and would definitely form the greatest defense. Unfortunately, that security proved to be its greatest flaw. Despite their best efforts, no Edernite (Eder citizen) could pierce the tree bark.

Luckily, just when it seemed like the enemies would succeed in ambushing the Edernites, an old wisben shaman stepped forward. No one knew the woman's origin or story. Still, it proved irrelevant when, following her prayer, the tree split open of its own accord.

The Edernites rushed into the tree stump where they were greeted with the most beautiful sight ever witnessed by man...

Ygg, Ederwood

8:50 p.m. 19st Banem 1092.

"Smell you later!" Within a forest, a wisben child shouted as she swung through the air, supported by a vine. The little girl, who seemed to be in her early teens, had a boyish vibe about her. Her short, puffy red hair rustled in the wind, hazel brown eyes scanning her surroundings for her competitor.

When she failed to spot anyone, the child let go of the vine, and then screamed with joy and excitement as she zipped through a small hole between a set of thick tree branches. Upon reaching the other end, she corrected her posture, allowing her feet to slide across a branch. Her momentum carried her to the end, which stopped before a seemingly endless depression.

Just as the wisben's eyes flashed with determination, a shadow flashed by her on all fours. The shadow looked over its shoulder, revealing itself to be Zuri. The little daeben flashed a triumphant, toothy grin as she somersaulted over the edge. "Not if Zuri gets there first!"

"Hey! You cheated!" The wisben child protested as she formed a strange symbol with her hands. Boom! An instant later, a massive branch shot out from the one she was sliding on, catapulting her over the edge. The two girls laughed as they freefell through the dense foliage below, using all sorts of tricks and skills to dodge or maneuver through the branches in their path.