Chapter 38: Dinner Party

Suzuki's Room,

Residential Sector.

7:45 p.m. Sunday, 4th May 2043.

Suzuki glared at his reflection in the mirror. The suit Saeko picked out for him fit like a glove, so he felt trapped. He unbuttoned the jacket and then loosened the top shirt button. That felt much better. His bangs, which all but covered his eyes, were a whole other issue. He might as well have raised a signboard announcing himself as a NEET. Not that he cared what people thought of him; he was more concerned with Kashi's fate.

Suzuki shrugged as he tossed Kashi's issues to the back of his mind and then walked over to the closet. He slipped on a pair of black sneakers and then exited the room. 

Multipurpose Auditorium 1,

Residential Sector.

7:55 p.m. Sunday, 4th May 2043.

Suzuki walked into the auditorium where the banquet was scheduled to be held and found the lobby filled with people chatting excitedly with each other. He inwardly cringed as he observed the quintessential display of everything he hated about social interactions, be it the girls with so much foundation they could build a complex on their faces or the guys who had enough product in their hair to clog up the Pacific Ocean.

Or could it be he was projecting his insecurities onto the world? Suzuki banished the inane thought. He put on his headphones and proceeded to the main hall, ignoring the sneers of disgust and mocking looks from the crowd as they judged his hair and cheap sneakers.

The hall was beautifully decorated with ribbons and cut-out figures of archetypal characters from L.N.E. Suzuki's attention, however, was drawn to the circular tables placed symmetrically around the hall. The tables left a circle in the center, presumably for dancing or some other activity.

A live band serenaded the hall's occupants from a stage at the opposite corner of the room, and Suzuki found himself subtly nodding along with the beat. How could he hear the band while wearing his headphones?

Suzuki had a strange quirk. He often put on his headphones without playing any music when he wanted to observe someone or something without being disturbed. It was a very effective tactic. People instinctively ignored someone with headphones and rarely considered seeking them out for anything.

Suzuki stifled a yawn as he took a seat at the table furthest from the entrance. Kashi's little eight-day crafting adventure had left him without adequate sleep over the past several days. The young man did not bother fighting the fatigue that washed over him. He shut his eyes and engrossed himself in the music.

Bam!

Suzuki may or may not have dozed off, but the next time he opened his eyes, he realized most of the tables had filled up save for those close to the edge of the auditorium, which was where he was located. Suzuki drowsily looked up at the source of the loud noise that woke him up.