Chapter 137: Alternative Interview

2nd Banem, 1093.

BANG!

Clang!

Over a thousand pairs of eyes jumped in shock at the smoking rifle in Just Matt's hands. No sooner had the daeben ordered the attack did his rifle ring out across the valley, its bullet accurately fired between the daeben's brows.

"Hehe," a short laugh sent those eyes swiveling back to the daeben, who, to their horror, was still sitting comfortably like nothing just happened. For a second, the crowd entertained that Just Matt had missed his shot despite the close range.

That thought perished with the daeben's next action.

"Someone is eager," Kashi teased, opening his right palm to reveal the remains of a scrunched up bullet. "Good," said the daeben as he played with the flattened projectile. "This would not be fun otherwise!"

Just Matt's eyes went wide behind his glasses, sharp senses forcing him to tilt his head to the side. He quickly took a step and retreated sharply, barely dodging the black bullet that crashed into the earth several meters away. Despite being as flat as a wall, the projectile still managed to dig several meters into the ground before grinding to a halt.

Just Matt, however, did not have time to appreciate his survival as Kashi appeared at the exact location he was a moment ago, arm stretched out. It was evident that if he had been even a moment late, Kashi would have grasped his neck.

The daeben stared at the empty space where his hand was. "Oh? Quick too." Licking his lips, Kashi turned to the MetalBrand boss. "It seems this will truly be interesting."

Despite his shock, Just Matt did not become the guildmaster of a massive guild by cowering in front of overwhelming odds. No one knew when, but he swapped the rifle for a pair of identical carbine model pistols.

These pistols, which in reality would have required the addition of buttstocks to counteract the heavy recoil, were easily brandished by the cerulian with practiced ease.

Kashi's examined the beautiful fusion of metal and wood, its chromic barrel glinting menacingly in the afternoon sun. A smile crept up the daeben's lips, "I'll be taking that!" With arrogance befitting a sovereign, he charged head-on, straight into its line of sight.

BANG! BANG! BANG!

Angry smoke billowed out the pistols' barrels as raging black messengers of death stormed out towards the approaching enemy. Despite facing the bullets head-on, the daeben's pace did not slow in the least.

A wicked glint flashed in Just Matt's eyes as Kashi slapped the bullets out of his path.

Fell For It!

BOOOOOM!

The bullets, which secretly had explosives packed within them, ignited upon contact with the daeben's fist.

BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG!

Without waiting for the plumes from the initial explosion to clear up, Just Matt sent several bullets charging at the daeben. Kashi, whose charge was forcefully halted by the initial blast, could only hold his ground as his frame was quickly covered by dark smoke from rapid eruptions enough to leave a meter long crater in the earth. Cheers erupted from Metalbrand, its members sticking out their chest with pride at their guild leader.

The leader, however, did not share their sentiment.

Just Matt waited, grip tight on the pistols, cold eyes scanning the plumes for any movement. He did not have to wait long, as three seconds later, loud laughter erupted from within the crater. A timely burst of wind swept away the smoke to reveal a large stone wall with the imprint of a dragon upon it.