Chapter 35: Song of Death & Deceit

Somewhere along the Atled Delta.

12:45 a.m. 18th Peniel 1091.

"This is so good!" Iason exclaimed as he wolfed down the food on his plate. His outburst was concurred by the members of Kashi's crew as they too munched on the delicious meat.

Kashi sat with his back to the foremast, practicing his Sculpting skill on a slab of stone. The food he made would grant the crew boosted stats for a limited time. Considering the scale of the mission they were about to embark on, they could do with any added bonus. A shadow blocked the sunlight, and he looked up to see Lunette.

"You raised your Cooking skill?" Lunette asked.

"Yes," Kashi answered as he whittled down on the stone. "I won't need to waste money on food if I can make it myself."

"Heh, you're the economic type?"

Kashi shook his head and let out a wry smile. "No, I do not mind spending money. But my Alchemy skill gets a boost from a high Cooking skill."

Lunette cocked her head to the side as she examined the sculpture in his hand. "But isn't it boring? Crafting, I mean."

"Hmm. Depends. Let's see... here." Kashi tossed the figurine he had been working on to her.

Lunette struggled to keep her amusement at bay as she looked at the terrible caricature of a frogger. "Wh-what's this?!"

Kashi shrugged. "They were ugly anyway. My failure didn't change much."

Lunette's shoulders shook as she covered her mouth in an attempt to stifle her laugh and then coughed to regain her composure. "That didn't answer my question."

"Well, it's not completely boring," Kashi replied. "Especially if you already envisioned the finished work."

"I guess that's true," Lunette agreed and nodded as she sat down beside him. "I just can't see myself working on those skills."

"Could say the same for you. Haven't met that many Bards," Kashi pointed out. "Fewer, even, who go for the Voice skill."

"Haha. It's odd, isn't it?" Lunette admitted. She hugged her knees to her chest and rested her chin on them. "I love singing. Beats bashing monsters."

"I don't know about that. Bashing can be quite therapeutic," Kashi argued as he stood up. "Doesn't matter either way. You should do whatever you want. Never hold back."

Lunette buried her face in her knees to hide her smile. "...You're insane."

Kashi shrugged. "Maybe."

"We're close!" Jero's announcement invigorated the crew, and they all looked toward the daeben with excitement and anticipation.

A shadow suddenly crossed Kashi's face as he looked at Lunette and said, "Now, how about we find you something to wear?"

Lunette's head shot up, her eyes shrinking to dots when she saw what Kashi pulled out from his inventory. "...Eh?" she muttered.

Eh?" she muttered