Chapter 129: We Will Survive

Blood erupted, staining cold blades as they reaped countless lives. Bodies dropped to the floor, empty eyes clouded over with regret and pain; Dreams, Hopes, and Loves abandoned to the cold earth. The cries of the innocent and the guilty did not sound so different, both echoing a desperate desire for life and the damning resignation of inevitable death. This was war, the insatiable monster who would forever feast on the differing ideals and greed of man.

Ah, wait. If there was one good thing, it was that the cries of the guilty far outweighed those of the innocent at this moment.

The Merrites could do nothing as Jade and Syèl tore into their ranks. To make confusing matters worse, the electric mage turned herself into a mobile stun battery as arcs of green electricity pulsed from her body at short, regular intervals.

These arcs chained amongst all enemies within ten meters, stunning them in the process. The volts made it easy for the army behind to crush the paralyzed soldiers before they recovered. Javelins wrought from the earth and powered by flames regularly flew ahead of the two, bursting apart defensive shields and formations.

The dwarfs did not lose in ferocity. Led by Yngvar Kernode, they crushed the enemy underfoot. Their master-crafted war hammers and swords tore through the enemy's defenses like a knife through butter.

At the Southern End, Drixlia thundered its way into the heart of the enemy troops, weapons, shields, and skulls crushed beneath its mighty hooves. From atop its back, death missiles ripped through the enemy soldiers.

Next to the war stallion, Kira simply charged, her massive frame enough to directly crush to paste anything she hit full-on. The enemy, whose earlier confusion had descended into all-out panic, could do nothing to stop their charge.

Meanwhile, the drakul, empowered by their leader's imposing figure, slashed, clawed, and bit their way through all opposition, their speed on foot no slower than Drixlia's.

Unfortunately, just when it seemed like the daeben's troops would make it all the way, a massive shockwave crashed against them, bringing their charge to a grinding halt.

Absalon's brows furrowed at the Northern End as an invisible wave crushed the army's charge. He cast his gaze at the warbards at the merrite army's rear. "So, the true battle begins now."

Olgar, noticing the halted charge, grinned at Shoko as bone spurs grew out of his arms. "You may have gotten us by surprise, but that's the end." To the samurai's shock, he punched his arm into the ground. "Now, let me show you how we do battle in Merriheim!"

Shoko's eyes widened with shock and fear. "Watch out!" She screamed as she jumped backward. The soldiers running past her raised questioning brows but responded too late.

The merrite warbards' demanding drums pooled with the vocalists' aggressive roars, releasing several waves of mana-enhanced energy across the battlefield. The energy wiped the [Confused] status afflicting the army and replaced it with [Aggression]—a status that boosted mana recovery, attack power, speed, and offered protection from negative status ailments.

The paralyzed soldiers, infused with Aggression, instantly shrugged off their constraints, the battle paradigm swiftly shifting as the Merrite army launched a severe counterattack.

The coalition, unprepared for this sudden reversal, suffered a severe blow to their morale. The situation further deteriorated as dozens of bone spurs shot up from the earth. The towering structures impaled unsuspecting dwarfs and humes and then raised the corpses high for the battlefield to see.

Shoko's eyes turned red with rage. She closed the distance with a feral cry, and in one swift motion, struck down at the crouching lycan.

Olgar laughed as the sword crashed against his raised left arm. Eyes narrowed, he mocked, "How d'ya like my display!?"