Chapter 49: Dreadful Exposition

Riven

4:30 a.m. 10th Maha, 1092.

The Throne Room.

The most important room in all of Rosendun, where the fate of thousands was dictated daily, was awash in strained silence. The currently politically most powerful man in the country faced off against an unlikely but equally powerful opponent. To say it was the most crucial debate held in the hallowed halls in decades would be the worst of understatements. This was a battle that would undoubtedly shape the future of the country, and it only fitted that a fight of this magnitude had an equally magnificent audience.

The first to the throne room were the drakuls. Having instinctively felt their king's end, they poured in through the door behind Absalon. But if the commander felt in any way threatened, it did not show on his stoic face.

The drakuls that entered paused when they sensed the atmosphere between the leader of the Hopeful Maggots and the ruler of Kerta. None dared intrude on them, a feeling reinforced by the tattoo on the daeben's forearm.

Close behind the drakuls were Kashi's lieutenants.

The veterans from Kerta elbowed their way past the drakul, also pausing at the sight of the two leaders. Iason blocked Hektor's charge, shaking his head at the confused youth. His experience on the battlefield let him know when a battle should be one-on-one regardless of who had the advantage.

This was a battle of pride, not a battle to live. It wasn't their place to interfere. The lieutenants took positions by the west wall next to Yuna and the rest of the Maggots, most of whom had all but fully recovered.

The final group to arrive was the blood-soaked Kertan soldiers led by Asha and Nyte. Their initial shock at being ignored by the drakul was increased when they saw who their general faced. As they took up positions by the right wall, their suspicions were confirmed.

"Isn't that?" whispered Asha.

"The merchant we exiled. The name was Cashy I think," Nyte finished. "To think he'd challenge the boss. We should have killed him back then."

"Nothing's changed. No one's ever defeated Absalon in a one-on-one. That weakling is as good as dead."

"Yeah," murmured Nyte as he recalled the hellish training Absalon forced on him. "This won't take very long."

And so it was, that in the bloodiest night of the city's history, the three factions paused to bear witness to a glorious finale beneath the branches of Yggdrassil. Just a few meters away, the prized Thorn Throne awaited its next occupant.

"Seems we've got ourselves quite the gallery," murmured Kashi as he adjusted his gloves. A half-smile spread on his lips as his fingers clenched in anticipation. "Forgive my impertinence, but I will be going all-out from the start." Absalon slammed his staff against the floor. "I wouldn't have it any other way."