Chapter 134: Building a Foundation

29th Muriel, 1093.

Early morning. The sun, not fully awoken from slumber, cast a grayish hue upon the earth. Cold winter winds gently swayed over dancing ocean waves. A young migratory bird let the winds lift its tired wings as it scanned the ocean waves for the next land zone. Its efforts paid off as a network of islands came into view, tropical trees and dense foliage promising nourishment and respite for the weary traveler.

With a relieved chirp, the bird rapidly flapped its wings, making a beeline for the largest island. Within moments it settled atop the branch of an extremely tall tree, its gaze taking in the beautiful landscape below. This island, dominated by dense foliage, was illuminated by green hues cast as sun rays traveled through overhanging semi-translucent leaves. Though dense, the trees were not so close that they became choking, various animal calls provoking a sense of wonder and nurture within all who passed among them.

Thump. Thump. Rustle...

The little bird, nibbling on a fruit that fell onto the branch, paused and cocked its head to the side. The forest, which had once been teeming with life, suddenly began to grow quiet. The birds stopped calling, the rabbits burrowed into their holes, and predators fled the area, abandoning their prey.

The bird's feathers stiffened as a part of it chose to fly away in fright. But the adventurous spirit which allowed it to break free of its flock and go off on this journey alone spurred a desire inside it—a desire to identify this creature that could cause an entire forest to hide in fright. It took courage in the fact that it was over ten meters off the ground. No land-based creature should be able to reach it at this height.

Thump... Thump... Thump!

The little bird peered down in curiosity as the thumping grew louder, causing the earth to tremble beneath whatever approached. Trees crashed to the ground, effortlessly pushed out of the predator's path as it stepped into the bird's line of sight.

Terror seized the bird!

The bird's wings quickly flapped its wings in an attempt to flee far into the sky. But it was far too late. The tips of its wings petrified as cold stone spread towards its heart. Having lost control of its wings, the bird plummeted to the earth, where it crashed with a hard thud.

The last things the bird registered before its eyes turned to stone were the terrible eyes of the basilisk, which towered above it.

The hulking reptile, standing at over six-feet-tall and eight-feet-long, glared at the petrified bird with complacency. Four pairs of stocky legs carried the massive creature next to its next meal. It bent over, scooping the stone bird into its mouth where it was crushed to pieces by thick, imposing teeth. A solution in its stomach converted the stone back to flesh and blood to allow for digestion.

The basilisk let out a dissatisfied grunt, casting its gaze towards the thickets where it sensed another unaware prey. It angled towards the target, unaware that a pair of dark eyes silently observed its path over two hundred meters north of its location.

Steady breaths came to a temporary halt as the stalker pulled a bowstring to the hilt. The archer lined the arrowhead, plotting the narrowest of flight paths through numerous tree branches and thistles. With a slight twang, the arrow took flight!

The arrow zipped through the trees cutting through leaves with unbelievable force and precision. The basilisk, senses trained to heightened realms, sensed the danger and sharply reared its head upwards to dodge the arrow aimed at its eye. Shockingly, the arrowhead coincidentally scraped the top of an overground root. The deflection sent the arrow right into the basilisk's left eye before it could react