Chapter 42: Before the Battle

Several eyes followed two girls and their pet as they walked the streets of Kerta. They made for a nice contrast between their choice of clothing. On the one hand, the wisben looked royal in her white and gold cloth armor. The other, dressed in an armless black top that hugged her massive breasts, had a rough, slutty edge to her.

"Hello cupcake," some guy cooed, blocking their path. "How's about I give you some nice armor and quick XP eh?"

Kashi stared at the buffoon. There were no words in existence to describe the disgust and anger he felt. Rather than punch the idiot's smug face into a paste, Kashi opted to ignore him. "I'm busy," the daeben said, and then brushed past.

Unfortunately, Loverboy failed to take the hint. He grabbed Kashi's arm. "Now, now, don't play hard to get. Life's too short for games."

"Hey, he's trying his best. Don't ignore him."

Kashi ignored Kira, who was struggling to hold back her amusement. Kashi shrugged off the man's grip. " On the contrary, some people's lives can be annoyingly long. Now, leave me alone."

"Then we've got all the time in the world, don't we?"

He sure was persistent. How did girls deal with guys like these all year long? Less than a minute and Kashi already wanted to break the guy's neck.

Fortunately, Leila chose to rescue him then. She whispered into the flirt's ears, and he whitened. In the blink of an eye, he had disappeared from sight.

"What did you say to him?" Kashi asked.

"Nothing really," Leila replied. Her expressionless face left no clues as to her real thoughts. "Rather, you should hurry up. You did say you've only got a few minutes left."

Kashi nodded, and then they jogged to the Archery training center. As always, the strange trinity was sat around the table. Kashi looked around and then muttered, "Glad to see nothing's changed here."

Serti raised a brow and examined the unfamiliar female. "I do not think we've met?"

"You do not recognize him?" Bert cracked open an eye and shot the daeben a look filled with amusement.

Serti frowned. "Him?"

Bert, no one to beat around the bush, revealed the truth. "That's Kashi."

"Huh?!" Serti whirled around and stared at the ladies.

A lone sweat dripped down Kashi's face as he waved. "Hi?"

Serti gaped, then burst out laughing. "That damned wizard did this to you, didn't he?" Surprisingly, he took the information well in stride. As if nothing was wrong, he walked over to the daeben and held out his hand. "Welcome back, kid."

Kashi took Serti's hand in a firm handshake. "I'm back." He was pulled into a hug, with the wisben patting his back rather vigorously.

"And of course, who dares forget little Ki—" Serti paused and looked at the direwolf. Scratching the back of his head, he chuckled. "Well, I suppose we can't call you little anymore." With those words, he patted Kira and then took his seat with Kashi and Leila.

"Heard about your exploits down south. That was really impressive," Yugo praised as he served them with his famous tea.

"You know about that?" Kashi asked as he took a sip. 'Damn, this is some good tea. Got to get the recipe.'

"Of course," Serti boasted. "Our network's one of the best."

Kashi frowned. This was not good news. If everyone knew about it, he could get into big trouble. "Do you suppose the mayor knows?"