Chapter 208: Durst Awakens

Redmont Manor,

Serisis.

9:32 p.m. 18th Banem 1092.

Kashi, Leila, and the Serian twins watched Rayatha as he crouched over Durst's visibly shrunken frame. The poison's effects had worsened considerably, causing dark, purple like veins to stick out of the orc's muscles. Durst's pallid expression, faint but quick breaths, and vacant gaze revealed the severity of his condition. If he did not get help soon, he would not be long for this world.

Rayatha took out a silver needle from his pouch and then stabbed Durst's arm with it. He retrieved the needle after a moment, frowning when he noticed the pristine needle had turned pitch-black with clear signs of corrosion. The druid then raised his hand and cast a spell on the needle. A beautiful green aura surrounded the needle, the pure mana attempting to cleanse the corruption. Unfortunately, even after several seconds passed, the needle's color and condition remained the same.

"It is as I feared," Rayatha stated with an excited glint in his eyes that did not match the situation. "This poison mimics the host's blood, rendering healing impossible."

Kashi raised a brow in confusion. "What do you mean?"

"Contrary to what laymen think, healing spells do not 'heal' the body through magic," Rayatha stated as he began taking out some herbs and bottles from his pouch. "Healing spells borrow mana from the caster to invigorate the target's body's propensity to heal. In the end, it is the injured party's body that is still in charge of healing." The herbalist ground the herbs in a small pot to form a dark green mud. "This is why ordinary healing spells cannot regrow a cut-off body part – Such a thing is beyond a hume's natural healing capability."

"What are you saying exactly?" Leila questioned with furrowed brows. "Can he be saved or not?"

"A few days ago, he would be nothing but a living corpse, but..." Rayatha grinned as he looked up and pointed at the daeben. "Thanks to Kashi here, I do have a cure in mind." The druid pried Durst's mouth open with his left hand and then poured the slush into the orc's mouth with his right. He observed until the orc instinctively swallowed the mixture before then turning to Kashi. "Healing spells cannot differentiate between the target's blood and the poison; hence they will boost the poison's ability to replicate as well as healing the damage done." The druid looked at Chu Ming and the herbalist with a snarky grin. "If I'm not wrong, his condition only worsened after you started healing him?"

The color drained from Chu Ming's face as the princess realized her severe error had led the orc to his death. Fingers shaking, she made to stop the spell, but Rayatha sharply rebuked, "Don't stop! For better or worse, you're the only thing keeping him alive right now. The second you stop your healing spell, the poison will crush what's left of his body."

Chu Ming froze but then bit her lip and continued with her spell. She did not feel right taking orders from this man she knew nothing about, but a life was on the line. Hence, she swallowed her discomfort and focused on keeping the spell steady for as long as possible.

Rudega, meanwhile, was not satisfied with Rayatha's revelation. "If your words are indeed true, this is not a long-term solution." The dwarf's eyes narrowed as he watched Chu Ming's trembling arms. The princess had held that spell for over two hours now. It was no surprise fatigue had begun to set in. "In fact, it isn't even a short-term solution. What do you suggest we do? Spit it out already!"

Rayatha cast a scathing glare filled with disdain and anger at the dwarf. The druid might have sworn loyalty to Kashi, but that did not improve his condescending attitude. Luckily, the druid remembered he was still in Kashi's presence and thus did not lash out. Instead, he took a deep breath and turned his attention back to Durst, who began to spasm heavily as his veins began taking on a dark, murky green color. "The only way to defeat this poison is with a stronger poison. One that will consume poison and blood alike."