Chapter 43: Pre-Battle (Part 2)

33rd Peniel, 1091

Kashi's Hopeful Maggots drifted down the delta on a small boat destined for the fort Norcha.

Nihihihihihi!

Drixlia's angry neigh echoed atop the boat. This was its first time on a boat, and it did not appreciate the swaying floor.

"Whoa, whoa, calm down boy," Kashi cooed.

The proud horse was not the only one having difficulties staying on its feet. Stryke and Yuna lay had gone below deck, after falling victim to seasickness. Luckily, the other members appeared to be in good health.

"Norcha in view!" called a sailor from the crow's nest.

Kashi walked to the bow. A wide grin slowly formed as the fortress came into view. From the exterior, the previous battle's damage was visibly non-existent. As they circled the fort, Kashi noticed men on the walls tracking their advance. Impressive. They hadn't relaxed in his absence.

Clack!

The ship docked at the pier.

"Land! Pure Blissful Land!" Stryke jumped onto the pier before the sailors could even set the gangplank. Stryke cried as he kissed the earth in joy and relief. His friends laughed as they joined him.

"Looks like you brought some company," Iason called as he walked up to them in significantly better equipment. He gripped Kashi's forearm and then greeted with a wide grin, "Welcome back, Kash." Iason looked at Kira. He did not dare pat her head, so he just smiled and said, "Welcome back, Kira."

"I'm back," Kashi replied.

Kira, meanwhile nodded her head, as if in appreciation.

Iason chuckled and then turned to Kashi. His smile darkened as he confessed, "Sorry, there was a last-minute recall, so we had to give up half the recruits. The ones we have only number forty."

"No worries. That is more than enough for our cause," Kashi said as they entered the fort. The daeben knew it could not be avoided. Whenever a war was about to be waged, generals had the right to enforce the nation's conscription policy.

Kashi met Jero at one of the fort's new training grounds. The half-elf paced back and forth in front of a group of soldiers practicing their sword techniques. He spotted Kashi, announced a break, and then walked over to the daeben.

"It is good to see you again," Jero greeted. He then noticed Kashi's guildmates and promptly extended his greetings. "Pleased to meet you. I am called Jero." They exchanged greetings as he joined them. "Aside from the repairs, we added some upgrades to the fort. First, we made some residential homes for the soldiers and their families. Next we build a blacksmith station, so we could craft our weapons locally. The cannons on the walls have also been fully restored, with a few improvements to them."

Kashi nodded. "And the ships?"

"Should be coming in tomorrow morning. We were able to successfully buy two new frigates."

"Perfect," Kashi said with a smile. "Where are Paris and the twins?"

Jero pointed to a large building. "They are asleep. We rotate our shifts."

Kashi bent his head in thought. "Hmm, could you wake them up? I wish to go over our strategy in the courtyard."

Jero nodded and then went to awaken the troops. Meanwhile, the Maggots drew curious glances and whispers from the recruits as they walked to the courtyard,

"Um, Kash," Stryke called. "I never asked, but what exactly did you do for these guys? They're looking at you like you're some savior or something."