35

"Holy shit."

"My sentiments exactly." Virgil jumped up in a start to see Janus standing there with this worried look in his eyes. "I take it you read his chapter."

"Some of it." Janus sighed as his face filled with even more concern.

"Look... Virgil, I can help you." Virgil's frowned in confusion as Janus took a step closer. "I can get him of your back."

"No. I don't think so."

"You don't understand. He's very dangerous. You just read his chapter and that's only some of it. Please... I can help get rid of him for you." Virgil crossed his arms, eyes darkening as they filled with anger. "I can protect you from him."

"I don't NEED you to protect me from him."

"Virgil-..."

"NO!" Janus jumped back as Virgil hissed at him angrily. "You have NO idea what's even going on. He ISN'T dangerous. He ISN'T Romulus. Either get off his back or else."

"Virgil, he IS Romulus. I should know!" Janus snapped back his eyes glowing silver making Virgil's face just drop. "It was MY family that trapped him."

"What?" Janus sighed as he dragged his hand down his face.

"Patton and I... We're descendants of the Great Dragon Witch Evangeline Drowmane. She's the one that finally managed to entrap that monster." Virgil stood there, face blank, as he boiled from the inside out. He was beyond pissed. It was that bitches fault Roman's so traumatized over guilt and the dark... the fact that he spirals over just apologizing... It was all HER fault. "I don't know how he got out but please believe me when I say he isn't safe to be around. I wouldn't have even allowed him in the house if Patton didn't willfully invite him."

"Wait does Patton know?"

"That he's a demon... yes." Virgil crashed completely as Janus hissed in annoyance. "That he's Romulus..." Janus just shook his head as Virgil took a deep breath.

"He isn't Romulus."

"Yes, Virgil, He is..." Virgil shot up glaring the witch down with a very protective gleam shutting the other down instantly.

"He's not the same as he was back then and I refuse to allow you to treat him like a monster when you haven't had him literally sobbing into your chest from an attack he got just over apologizing!" Janus froze up, his eyes filling with confusion, as Virgil clenched his fists tightly. "You DON'T know him. Not Roman... Not who he's become. SO BACK OFF! If you cause him any trouble I will make your life a living hell."

"He's a demon. Why are you so protective of him?" Virgil just smiled with a vicious glint in his eyes, as he twisted his wrist showing the bond mark to the other, who tense up the second he saw it.

"Because he's MY demon... and he deserves to be cared for." Virgil didn't waste a single second more storming out of the room. He practically flew down the steps as he ran back to the living room only to freeze up seeing Roman sitting there on his sleeping back hugging himself tightly while Patton and Logan talked about movies. Roman's head jerked up suddenly looking over at him and Virgil could see that desperation in his expression. He quickly shook his head no, knowing exactly what Roman was going to do before making his way over to him. Roman whined silently as Virgil sat down beside him, throwing himself into the other as he shivered.

"Don't leave me again." Virgil's face softened as he smiled sadly and trailed his fingers through his hair. "Please? You were gone for so long."

"I'm sorry. I ended up having a conversation with Janus." Roman jerked violently, a growl on his lips that caught Patton's attention, who looked back with a worried look seeing the two the way they were. Virgil subtly shook his head noticing how Patton looked about ready to say something.

"Witches..." Roman growled pressing himself further into Virgil as if he could keep him grounded to the floor. "I don't like him."

"It's ok, Roman. He's not going to do anything. Not if he doesn't want Remus and I to retaliate tenfold." Roman slowly pulled away enough to look up at him and Virgil frowned seeing how his eyes were glowing a very strong red. "It's ok, Roman. I'm not leaving you."

"Why do you care so much? I'm... I'm not a good-..."

"Do not finish that sentence... ever." Roman shivered under the command as Virgil forced him to stay looking at him.

"You are a good person, Roman. You've done bad shit in your past yes. You were a very bad and evil demon in the past... yes... but who you are now is NOTHING like back then. You aren't him." Roman's face softened as he nodded shyly.

"I'm not him."

"Can you do something for me?" Roman quirked a brow at him as Virgil took a deep breath moving in to hold his hands tightly in his own. "Can you please repeat 'I am not Romulus.'" The instant panic that filled Roman's face was scary as Virgil moved to calm him down, pressing holding the demon's hands against his chest. "It's ok, Roman. It's ok. I just need you to repeat it ok? Can you do that? Can you say you're not Romulus?"

"H-How... How did you... How?"

"Shh, Roman. We don't want everyone to hear." Roman whined as Virgil pulled him in against his chest again with a sad expression. "I read a book that talked about Romulus, and in it, it mentioned Fiona." Roman whimpered as he clutched Virgil's hoodie in his fists. "I realized what that meant pretty quickly... but it doesn't matter but you aren't him, right. So can you say it? You aren't Romulus."

"I... B-But I... I am... I..." Virgil wrapped his arms around Roman holding him close as the demon crashed and just melted into the embrace. "I..." He let out a shaky breath as he moved to stare out the doorway seeing Janus there again with a very lost look in his eyes. He smiled softly as he let Virgil hold him close. "I'm not Romulus."

"No... You're not. You're Roman Black. You're my friend." Roman beamed as he nodded and laughed softly as that bubble of joy made him feel all fluttery.

"I'm your friend."