66

TW~ Child abuse, Derogatory terms, Murder, Self-sacrifice, Trauma induced selective mutism, Dissociation (I don't know if I'm right about this but I put it anyway just in case it is what I'm writing) 

(Also this whole chapter is a flashback)

Roman smiled as he buried yet another metal box. He had placed a map in the original hidden behind the wall his sister already knew about. Roman was making sure he saved as much money as he could so he could get him and his sister out of there as soon as he was able. With his father now up and healthy again, things had become so much worse. Even with all the beating though, Roman didn't regret his decision. He saved his father's life, whether he deserved it or not was beside the point.

"Hermano?" Roman's eyes lit up as he spotted Ava stumbling out into the yard. Roman of course instantly looked behind her to make sure their father wasn't home yet as he knew the rules. Roman was now old enough to work, which meant it had changed for him but Ava... Ava was now the one not allowed outside, not even into their yard. "¿Que estas haciendo?" *Brother.* *What are you doing?*

"Keeping my promise." Roman chuckled as he quickly dusted himself off before leading his sister back into the house. "I told you I'd take care of you. Your big brother is going to care for you forever." Roman lulled sweetly as he tickled her lightly listening to her giggles. " Come one, Guisante dulce. Don't you have some work you're supposed to be doing?" Ava pouted as Roman hurried her over to the little table in their shared room they used for her studies. Roman was fortunate to have been able to buy books for his sister to learn from. He didn't have that when he was younger. His mother did the best she could with getting him to classes but once she died their father took over everything Roman's schooling ended up one of the many things that were sacrificed. He wasn't about to let that happen to his sister. She deserved the best. Besides, better schooling meant a higher chance for her to get out of the life they were living in and that was all Roman wanted... a better life for his sister. *Sweet pea.*

"ROMAN!" Roman's eyes darkened instantly, his mind shutting down the second he had heard it as if preparing for the pain he knew was going to happen. Ava jumped, her eyes wide in panic as Roman simply just glanced at their door. "ROMAN PAYNE!" Nothing was said. Roman had lost his ability to talk when his mind shut down due to trauma.

"Roman-..." Ava just watched in terror as Roman quickly and efficiently hid all the books he had bought her as well as hid her handmade bear under the ratted mattress just moments before the door opened to reveal their angry father. 

"What did I say about ignoring me?" Roman frowned as he simply just stood there, eyes firmly on the floor as to not risk his father taking anything about his stance as a challenge. "You stupid disobedient boy!" His father grabbed him by the arm literally dragging Roman out of the room, without any fight as Roman never fought back. "One of these day's you will FUCKING LEARN!" Roman fell further into that dark pit his mind always took him to try and protect himself. He wasn't entirely aware of anything that was happening anymore as it had been routine for so long. This was just what he was good at. Caring for his sister... and taking a good hit. Speaking of hit... "ANSWER ME YOU FUCKING WASTE OF SPACE!" Roman's eyes held no shine at all as he just stood there in the same position he had been in from the punch to his face. He didn't even feel the pain from the way his teeth had dug into his cheek from the impact. "YOU-..." Another punch had Roman gasping for air as he curled up into himself. His father flared as Roman still refused to speak or react. Then again he wasn't able to in his current state of mind. A state Ava saw often as she was the one who had to care for her brother after every beating. "WILL-..." His father grabbed him by the hair and slammed it against the wall making Roman see stars, eliciting a whimper from his lips from the pain. "RESPECT-..." A backhanded slap and Roman found himself on the floor grunting at the impact. He blinked as he slowly looked up to see his father seconds away from stomping his face in. "M-..."

"NO! STOP IT!" Ava screamed out making Roman snap back at the sound of her terrified voice. The poor girl shoved her father's foot away as she cried endlessly, having seen enough of her brother's torture. "Leave him alone!" Roman tried to call for her but his voice would come out. He simply whined as he tried to stagger back to his feet. "He hasn't done anything. Papa, please..." She screamed out as their father backhanded her to the floor, making Roman panic as he quickly tried to pull her up.

"That bitch... She's been hanging around you far too much. You're teaching her to disobey." Roman shook his head frantically as he pushed her behind him, desperate to protect his sister. "You and your disobedience are rubbing off on her. I'm going to have to teach her to respect her elders." Roman whined as he quickly tried to push Ava towards the room, knowing once she was there in their hideout she would be safe. "You and that bitch... nothing but shit stains that WHORE made." Roman felt his heart crake as his father clenched his fists, readying himself for another strike. "I should have known complete trash would only mother more trash."

"Ava, go!" Roman finally managed to say as he pushed her on. She took on look before racing off to hide as Roman put himself in between them both. "Don't... D-Don't t-t-touch her." His father sneered as he pulled his fist back backing Roman's eyes fade instantly.

"You still need to learn your place." Roman flinched as time itself seemed to slow down. He watched as his Father swung, the impact inevitable. He glanced over, his eyes going wide, as he spotted the woman with the red eyes just watching him with a smirk on her lips... 

Red... Roman could remember red. It tinted his vision as he felt his body getting prompt up against this wall. He didn't know if he was alive or what. All he knew was everything was red. He watched as his father stood back this hatred in his eyes. Roman blinked and his father was gone only for the women to be standing on the other side of him. Her eyes flashed brighter as Roman's pain only increased.

"We had a deal, kid. His life... for your soul. I'm here to collect." Everything went black.