22

"Good morning." Virgil mumbled quietly as he looked over to see Roman standing in his doorway. He pushed himself up ignoring the sigh Roman made in response to that. "At least I hope it's morning." Virgil teased as Roman slowly made his way over, sitting down beside the human with this sad look in his eyes. "Did you get any sleep after all that?"

"Demon's don't sleep." Virgil's eyes narrowed as Roman smiled sadly. "We don't need to. Some do it just to pass the time. I know about one who slept nearly 2,000 years because he was just tired of everyone's crap." Roman shook his head as he laughed at himself a bit. "I can't even get through one night. It doesn't matter. How did you sleep Virgil? I hope it was... pleasant?"

"I slept fine." Roman frowned as he looked Virgil in the eyes making the other tense a bit at just how deep a red they were. "Ro..."

"You aren't lying. That's good." Roman blinked and smiled a bit brighter. "After everthing that happened I kind of... needed to make sure."

"Did you just..."

"Search you're mind to make sure what you said accurate?" Virgil just glared at the other as Roman nodded sheepishly. "In a way, ya. I didn't feel like you would appreciate me forcing you to say the truth, especially if you weren't lying. What I did with your hands was bad enough..."

"My hands?" Roman paled before letting out a groan as he nodded again.

"Yeah. Lunchtime. You were tying to leave and I was trying to talk to you so... I made it so you couldn't grab your tray. But... But then you you REALLY wanted me to leave and I told you my job is to make your greatest wish come true however and whatever it may be at any given time... At that moment your greatest desire was for me to leave... so I did."

"We are going to need to set up some ground rules." Roman faltered a bit as he shot the human a confused look. 

"Rules?"

"Yea. Rules. As in you don't poke around my head simply because you didn't like the answer I gave or didn't trust me." Roman flinched as Virgil's glare hardened. "We may bound together because of that deal but that doesn't mean that I trust you. I don't want a demon invading my personal space... I don't want ANYONE doing it. Ok. So if you WANT me to trust you, there needs to be some ground rules."

"You should never trust a demon, Virgil." Virgil faltered a bit at the seriousness in Roman's tone. "Never trust a demon. It'll never end well." The look in Roman's eyes made it painfully clear He was speaking from experience and Virgil was tired of seeing that pained look in the other. 

"Ro..." 

"Thomas said you have to go back to school tomorrow. I tried to tell him you were still far to injured but he wouldn't listen to me. He said the best he could do is get a note writen for the school to excuse strenuous activity. But since he's technically not your legal guardian he doesn't really have much of a say on the matter."

"ROMAN!" Roman jumped making Virgil laugh at the demons shocked expression. "I'll be ok. Right now I want to know more about you."

"Trust me, Virgie, you really don't want to." Virgil rolled his as he sat up more and just gave the demon this sassy look.

"Roman, last night you woke up in a comeplete panic. I should know. I and panic incarnet. So... What exactly was that nightmare about?" 

"Virg..." Roman stopped seeing how Virgil was staring at him with this serious look but... there was something in his eyes that made Roman's chest twinge. "I... I don't want you to think poorly of me."

"We're friends, Ro. You're litterally here to protect me and make me happy... Let me at least attempt to help you somewhat. At least until you actually tell me what I'm supposed to be doing." Virgil smiled as he watched Roman relax a bit. "What happened in your nightmare?"

"It was just... black." Virgil's eyes narrowed as Roman shuddered. "Pitch black... a familiar nothingness, I... I thought I was trapped in the planchette again at first. It was just... black. But then..." Roman let out a broken sigh as he sat back against the wall with one knee up, just staring blankly off at nothing. "Fiona..." 

"Fiona?" Roman nodded as he continued to just stare off. "What happened?"

"She accused me of killing her... just like everyone else does." Virgil's eyes darkened as Roman chuckled sadly. "Kept trying to get me to admit it. I think... I think at one point I broke down but I'm not entirely sure if I actually did what she said or not. I know I appoligized and she burned me like Eve did but she just wouldn't stop." Roman growned as his hands went to his hair, both knees now pressed up into his chest. "She wouldn't stop saying I killed her. I didn't kill her. I... I didn't save her. I..."

"Roman, do... Do you feel guilty about her death?" Roman froze up, blinking several times as Virgil moved to sit beside him. "It sounds as though you might regret what happened to her." 

"I cared about her." Virgil nodded as Roman's voice seemed to hush. "Sure she... She was still just a pet. At the time I was still... him. She was the first person I ever felt anything towards. I didn't want her to die."

"What happened to her?" Roman crashed as his eyes met with Virgil's hand before he shook his head.

"What always happens when a pr-... Demon lives around other people. The hunters decided they had enough of my presence." Virgil frowned as Roman smiled sadly lost in thought. "They broke into my home and attempted to kill me. I told them whatever they did would hurt her. Her body was bound to mine. I... I tried to tell them to stop but... I don't know. I blanked out. I... It's just at the time they made me so... I don't know. I forget about her. I forgot about her and lashed out at the hunters. In the end, when I finally came back to it all... Fiona was dead from everything they had done to me."

"Oh, shit... Romam-..."

"Maybe they're right." Virgil's eyes widdened as Roman choked back another laugh. "I mean... If I never bound her to me, She'd be alive. If I just let them excersise me, She'd be alive. If I didn't snap, She'd be alive. If I remembered about her... If I just let her go... If... Maybe I did kill her."

"That... That's definately guilt. Roman, I'm not entirely sure about what happened or why or... ANYTHING about you to be honest but if you never work past what happened, you'll never get better." Virgil was trying. He really was. Roman just didn't seem to hear him. The demon just sat there staring at nothing as Virgil sighed. "Ro..."

"If I killed her... does that mean she was right about him too?" Virgil frowned as he watched Roman start to tear up. "I mean... She brought him up to, kept blamming me for his death. But I didn't... I thought I didn't... but she was right about one thing. I could have saved him. I could have. I could have but didn't. Does that mean I killed him too?"

"Killed who, Ro?"

"Ashton Nickles." Roman's eyes seemed to daze over as his hands started to shake. He stared at his wrists with tears in his eyes. "He made a deal with me. One friend... Just one friend. One day to feel loved and cared about... and I'd get his body when he died." Virgil's eyes shot up in shock as Roman fell under his memories. "He really didn't deserve any of what happened. I... I should have stopped it. I could have stopped it but... He didn't want me to. He... he didn't want me to save him. That wasn't the deal... that..." Roman growled as he practically shoved his face into his hands. "I should have done something. He was just a kid."