57

"Roman? Look... I'm sorry." Fiona had tears in her eyes as Roman sat there against the wall staring out at nothing just completely dazed out of his mind. "When they bound me here I didn't remember my death. I didn't remember much from around then. I relied solely on what they told me happened. I was led to believe you killed me." Roman made no reaction and it only continued to break her heart. "So when they said I was to bring you in... I didn't think anything of it. I don't even think they realized just WHO they were attempting to capture. We... I didn't know you had changed. They don't care but... I do." Fiona took his hand in hers but yet there was still no reaction. Roman just continued to stare off with a blank gaze. "Roman... This ritual... It's doing more harm than good."

"They're trying to make me human." Fiona's eyes flashed as Roman FINALLY responded. She squeezed his hand as his eyes slowly paned to hers. 

"They're killing you." Roman just laughed in his broken daze, slowly looking away again with a shrug.

"It's not exactly an exact science."

"Damn it Roman, please?" Fiona literally begged, glistening tears steadily streaming down her pale cheeks. She didn't know what to do to get it through to him. How was she supposed to help him if he was adamant in forcing himself to suffer? Why was he so allowing... why did he feel he had to go through this? "Please, listen to me! They're going to kill you."

"Why do you even care?" Roman muttered out hoarsely as he frowned in confusion. "You were my pet... my slave... my plaything. I used you for whatever I wanted... whenever I wanted. I did such... horrible things to you just because I could. I was the reason you died. So... why Fiona... why do you care if I die or not?"

"Because I already got my revenge." Roman's eyes narrowed as Fiona broke down all the more. "I just didn't realize it had worked."

"What do you mean?"

"You... You would send me out to do some shopping. You always knew where I was so you didn't have to worry about me running off. Not that I was going to ... I knew where my place was. I had accepted that I was nothing but your property." Roman whined at that but she didn't stop her story. "Even still, I was desperate. For what... I don't know. I wasn't trying to get out from under you. I fully believed the only escape I would have gotten was when I was finally dead. Still... I was lured in." Roman's eyes, although still incredibly dazed, held a sort of support that only squeezed at her heart. She felt incredibly guilty. Even if giving him that soul was the ONLY reason Roman was even like this... it still hurt to know he had been and still IS suffering. "This gypsy found me on my errand. She stopped me and said she could tell I was trapped in darkness. An evil... She offered me help. At first, I refused. I told her there was nothing she could do against you but she said..." Fiona hesitated a bit only to break as Roman nudged his head a bit urging her on. "She said she could drown you in guilt. Said she could curse you and make you spend eternity writhing in remorse." Roman's eyes widened as Fiona only cried harder. "I didn't understand how that would be possible. Demons... especially you didn't have regret or remorse... there was nothing for you to FEEL guilt over. But she said if I brought her something of you... then she could cast it."

"When..."

"I had cut you... with broken glass. I made it seem like an accident when it wasn't." Roman's eyes filled with horror as he growled at himself.

"I beat you for it. Kicked you out of the manor and the rain. I... fuck." Roman curled up into himself as he started to shake. "Even if it was on purpose, I shouldn't have beaten you over it. I... I'm sorry. I'm so sorry."

"Roman. Roman, sh... It's ok. Hey." Fiona quickly tried to calm him down not wanting him to spiral back into the empty he had JUST managed to crawl out of. "Roman, I told you. I got my revenge. The gypsy... The spell to make you drown in your guilt... the only way for that to have happened was if she gave you a conscious... a soul." Roman froze up instantly, his eyes blanking out as he shook his head.

"Demons don't have souls. That's the whole problem in the first place."

"Roman, please... Just look at how different you are. Everything Romulus did in the past... to how you feel about things now... when did thing start to change?"

"NO!" Roman yelled out as he frantically shook his head. "No. No. No. No. No. No. Demons don't have souls. They don't have soul." His eyes slowly started to turn blank as he gripped his hair and cried out. "I DON'T HAVE A SOUL! It's not possible. I don't. I don't. I don't."

"ROMAN!" Fiona snapped grabbing his hands causing Roman to growl as his eyes darted to hers. "Please, calm down. I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I didn't mean to upset you."

"I just want to be human." Roman whimpered as he completely crashed into her. She deflated with a sigh as she trailed her fingers through his hair. "I have to continue with the ritual... I don't have any other option." Fiona simply shook her head as Roman cried into her chest, shaking like a leaf. 

"There's always another option." Fiona whispered as he closed her eyes trying to stop her tears from falling. Roman just smiled as he shook his head.

"If there is..." Roman spoke in barely a whisper. His body was trembling as he gripped Fiona's shirt tightly. His eyes slowly started to lose that black again as he chuckled softly against her chest. "If there is I haven't found it."