42

Roman sat there on the ledge staring at his tattoo with this sinking feeling in his chest. He didn't understand any of what he was feeling. He cared for Kai. He did. He enjoyed his company. Kai never failed to know how to make him smile and laugh. Yet here he was thinking about Virgil because his friend had gone back home leaving him yet again to be alone with Kai. Why couldn't Virgil stay? Why couldn't Virgil hang out with them the whole time? He didn't understand any of this dating stuff.

All he did know was staring at that tattoo on his hand, his chest felt tight. His throat burned as if he was about to cry. His skin crawled and he felt like there was this weight on him. Was that normal? He just didn't know.

"Roman?" Roman flinched at the sudden touch to his shoulder only to soften seeing it was just Kai. "I think we need to talk."

"Oh?" Roman smiled as he shifted a bit to give his full attention to the other. "What's up?"

"Roman... I uh... I don't know how to say this..." Roman's eyes flashed, worry filling his gaze as his smile clearly turned fake.

"Did something happen?"

"No! No. It's not like that." Roman's smile slowly fell as Kai took a deep breath. "Roman... how do you feel when you're with me?"

"What kind of a question is that?" Roman laughed as Kai took his hand, noticing the obvious tension the second he did. "I like hanging out with you. Haven't I said that?"

"Well, yes but Roman... there are different kinds of... Ok, how do I ask this? When you're with me are you happy?" Roman nodded as Kai smiled softly. "Good. I'm glad. I'm happy that I can at least do that."

"Kai, what's wrong?"

"Absolutely nothing. Nothing is wrong at all, Roman." Kai said with full surety that only made Roman all the more concerned. "I just wanted to know if you enjoyed spending time with me because you like me..."

"Of course I like you. I wouldn't be hanging out with you if I didn't." Roman honestly didn't understand what was going on and Kai could see it. It was hard to explain emotions like this to someone who doesn't understand them. "You're worrying me. Did I do something wrong?" Kai quickly took both his hand moving them both till they were facing each other with this serious expression that made Roman gulp down his growing anxiety. "Kai? If I did something wrong, tell me... so that I fix it."

"Roman, you did nothing wrong. I promise you." Roman sighed as he nodded cringing subtly at how Kai was rubbing his thumb over his hand. "I just wanted to bring this up with you."

"Bring what up?"

"That there are several different kinds of relationships." Roman's eyes widened as Kai squeezed his hands. "Different kinds of ways one can care for another."

"I don't understand."

"Well? How do you feel about Patton?" Roman smiled as he shrugged.

"I don't. I don't hate him. He's nice and sweet, like you. He can be a bit too close with Virgil though and that makes me a bit nervous... I think. But he's genuinely a nice guy and I do enjoy his presence." Roman quirked a brow at the other as Kai just chuckled. "Why?"

"Be honest... what do you feel about me?" Roman frowned as he shrugged again, looking away as Kai squeezed his hand again. "You're nice, caring, and kind. You make me smile and I don't have to worry about messing up with you. You know about some of the things I struggle with and don't fault me for it which makes me feel somewhat safe. Hanging out with you is always fun and I'm happy and light and... I just really enjoy it, I guess. Why are you asking me this?"

"It's important." was all Kai said in response before visibly working himself up to the next question. "How do you feel about Virgil?"

"He's important to me. Why? Is there something wrong with it..."

"No. No... Roman, there isn't but I need you to answer so I can explain this better ok? So, please... Answer me honestly, nothing you say will upset me. How do you feel about Virgil?" Kai let Roman slowly pull his hands out of the hold as the demon stared off into the distance. "When you're with him... when you think of him, how do you feel?"

"He's important to me. He... He makes me feel really light and happy. He makes me feel... special like nothing bad I've done ever matters to him. I can't ever help but smile the second I spot him. I don't... I don't know why but... He just... He makes everything feel all fluttery?" Kai's smile only grew as Roman melted a bit under it all. "I mean... When he's near all I want to do is hold him and keep him close. He's my best friend, Kai. He... He means the most to me. I care about him more than anything."

"He makes you the happiest doesn't he?" Roman just shot him a confused look as Kai chuckled softly. "Compared to everyone else you know... Virgil's the one that makes you feel the best... the happiest, doesn't he?"

"Well... Yeah. I guess he does. Why is the important?" Kai honestly couldn't get enough of how innocent and naive this man was. It was one of the reasons he adored him so much. "Virgil's the most important thing to me. He's my first and best friend. We're literally tied together in a way I can't really explain... I don't understand why that has anything to do with you or Patton?"

"No. Not Patton. I brought him up because he's your friend, yes?" Roman simply nodded as Kai smiled softly at him. "But you feel differently for him as you do Virgil... right?"

"Of course. Virgil's different."

"But you feel the same for Patton... as you do me." Roman face filled with confusion as Kai laughed at it all. "Roman, answer me this. If you had to pick one person to spend all of your life with... who would you see spending it with?"

"V-..." Roman's eyes widened as he cut himself off seeing the understanding look in Kai's eyes. "I still don't understand."

"Roman, I care about you. I know you care about me. But I also know..." Kai gently took his hand intertwining their fingers together as he traced the tattoo he knew Roman shared with Virgil with his free hand. "... that there's someone else you care for more. There's nothing wrong with that, Roman. The only wrong thing is... you're keeping him waiting."

"Kai..."

"This relationship of ours..." Roman's eyes darkened as the other's words finally really hit him. "It's more of a platonic love, Ro, and I am completely ok with that. Because more than anything I want you to be your happiest... but that's just not with me."

"So what are you saying?"

"I'm saying that as your friend... I'm telling you to stop being an idiot and go be with Virgil." Roman's eyes shined as Kai nodded softly. "He makes you the happiest and I know you make him happy too."

"Wait so... Hold on... What does that mean because honestly, it sounds like your telling me that you aren't my boyfriend anymore." Kai couldn't hold back his laughter anymore making Roman pout in frustration until his eyes shot wide as he just crashed. "Oh... That's exactly what your saying isn't it." Kai nodded again as he pulled Roman into a hug.

"I love you, Ro. You're an amazing friend. And I want my friends to be happy, that's why I'm letting you go." Kai pulled away brushing Roman's hair back as he pressed one last kiss to the other's forehead. "Go find Virgil."