56

TW~ Torture, blood.

Fiona flinched badly, clutching her shirt as tight as she could, as Roman's scream of agony ripped through the air. The demon stood there, hosted up by the chains, all while cultists carve more runes into him. He was injected with blessed and spelled blood, causing the demon in him to bubble inside him. They doused their blessed ritual blade in holy water before ever SINGLE cut making all the pain worse as it literally burned through him. He never stopped screaming. 

Fiona was in a state of panic. She could see Roman's eyes were a pitch and empty void of black. She could literally feel his soul straining under all the pain and demonic pressure. Her own magic flurried in desperation as she shook her head and finally yelled out.

"STOP IT!"

"NO!" Roman screamed, his magic burning out of him causing the air to literally ripple. Her heart was in shreds as Roman growled and glared them all down. "Don't you DARE stop!" Fiona didn't know what to do. She could see it in Roman's eyes... the demonic rage was taking over. She had no choice but to melt into the background just listening and watching as more runes were carved into him as if he was some sort of block of wood... or clay. As if he was the golem and not her... She hated every second of it. Despite his past, Roman HAD a soul. She could sense it struggling and straining against everything. It was her JOB to protect and nurture souls. She couldn't stop the tears that fell from her eyes.

She waited, standing there in the background for the right time. If she stopped it now, Roman would have snapped. It was clear he was not about to let anyone end this yet. She had to wait.. until Roman couldn't stop her. He may have been chained and trapped but a demon doesn't NEED to be free to wreak havoc. They still possessed their magic and Roman was one of the strongest she had ever known of. 

It would take a lot to finally break him.

So she stayed there, ignoring how her entire being BEGGED to put an end to this. She stood there intensely focused on everything Roman did. Every twitch... every jerk... Every chocked back scream... She listened and made note of every time his voice would cut out or start to get quieter wondering if then was the moment. She clenched her fist just standing in silence as she watched as Roman resulted to even squeezing his eyes shut, wrapping his wrists so tight with the chains they were sure bruise his body. She watched so closely... She spotted the second Roman's body gave out.

"THAT'S ENOUGH!" Her voice boomed as the cultist holding the chain finally let it go, and Roman just dropped to his knees, dazed and unaware. "He can't take anymore." She raced over dropping to her knees, not even caring about the blood, as she pulled him in, the black in his eyes slowly fading away until they were green. "Roman? Roman, it's ok. It's going to be ok." She tried to get him to look at her but his mind wasn't really there. His eyes were so dazed and dull she wondered if he was even really awake or if he just didn't have the strength to even close them before his body had enough. She growled at herself for ever letting this happen as he glanced back to see the cultists all still just standing there. It royally pissed her off. "What are you doing? LEAVE." They glared her down, clearly angry that a golem would ever dare to order them around. The problem with that was... She wasn't JUST a golem. The golem was simply the body they had bound her to. "I SAID LEAVE!" 

She burst up to her feet with this blast of energy, pure white wing bursting from her back as her eyes turned a bright white. She was an angel. And an angel's purpose was to nurture and protect pure souls. She might not have understood why he of all people would have one but... The demon behind her had one of the purest souls she had ever felt and she wasn't about to let him down. 

Her wings unfurled as her magic swirled around her, making the cultist all tense up before finally just nodding and walking away. She didn't even notice how Roman's eyes lit up the second her wings appeared. He stared up in awe as he slowly pushed himself up to his knees, his mind only comprehending the bright beautiful white feathers that were currently shielding him. He gently reached out, trailing his blood-covered fingers through the soft delicate feathers, as Fiona jumped suddenly at the contact. She spun around only to freeze seeing the pure unabated happiness in those green eyes.

"Roman?" She fell to her knees again taking his hand as she tried to get through to him. Her wings ruffled a bit before she pressed them against her back but Roman never took his eyes off of them. "Roman, it's ok. Can you hear me? Roman?"

"I knew you would be an angel." Fiona froze up in shock as Roman gently whispered out his words, a proud yet subtle blush to his cheeks. "I knew... I told you... When you died and I said goodbye, I told you would be an angel. I said we wouldn't be seeing each other... not in hell at least. I was right." Fiona felt her tears falling before she even knew she was tearing up. Roman's smile only grew as he gently brushed them away, his eyes shimmering with a pride Fiona never thought he could feel for someone else. SHe never thought having him proud in her... would have made her feel so happy. She pulled him in without a second thought, crying into his shoulder as he just held her in his weak grasp. "I knew." Roman continued to whisper as he melted completely into the embrace, his energy completely gone and his body weak. "I knew you would make such a strong angel."