29

(TW~mentions of deaths)

"I'm ok, Virgil." Roman mumbled quietly as the sat there at their lunch table. Roman's eyes were still quite dazed and dull but he was slowly but surely coming back to everything after that whole thing with Janus. "Really, I promise. I just got... scared. He blinded me. I don't do good when I can see anything."

"You don't seem to have an issue in the dark." Roman chuckled softly as he fumbled with his milk carton. 

"That's because I can see in the dark. As long as I can see something I don't care. But when it's nothing but a pitch-black void of empty..." Roman blinked himself out of his thoughts as he shook his head. "Virgil, do you really want to know more about me?"

"Well, yeah."

"Do I have your permission to show you what it was like?" Virgil tensed up as Roman stared blankly out at nothing. "I wouldn't dare do it for more than a minute or two. I just want to show you what it is I saw."

"Alright." Roman smiled sadly as he nodded, taking Virgil's hand in his.

"Can you close your eyes then?" Virgil did as he was told and closed his eyes, taking a deep breath as he did so. He felt as Roman moved behind him, taking both his hand in his, before using them to cover Virgil's eyes more. Roman let out a shaky breath as leaned his head against Virgil's. "What do see?"

"Darkness. Nothing... my eyes are closed." Roman smiled then moved both their hands away.

"I'm sorry." 

"For..." Virgil opened his eyes only to freeze as the black remained. This sudden panic filled his lungs before he forced himself to breathe the second Roman squeezed his hand. "Oh."

"It was nothing but pitch black. An ever consuming darkness, broken only by the fleeting moment where I'd stare out the little window and see the world move by without me." Virgil's eyes narrowed as he took in the sounds of people talking. He blinked and light-filled his senses making him wince. "I told you I would only do it for a minute or to but... Virgil, I lived through that for 500 years. During that time there was nothing. I was a trinket to the witches who guarded it. They made sure no one ever came near it. They'd talk to me. They'd use spirit boards to communicate. Even still I was never to be freed."

"How did you end up with Derek?"

"There was a break-in." Roman sighed as he turned back to his tray and pushed around his food. "Some men broke into Lady Grey's home. She was the witch in charge of watching me at the time. They came and tried to take anything they could that seemed expensive or could sell for a lot if played right. They spotted the planchette which was in a glass case... a prison with a prison. I hated that glass box. As if the never-ending black was bad enough. I had to look out my little window to see even more barriers keeping me there."

"Roman." Roman jumped slightly startled out of his thoughts as Virgil smiled over at him. "What happened?"

"Lady Grey came home." Virgil's eyes darkened in realization as Roman nodded. "She came home seeing them holding the planchette and she freaked. She went to use her magic but there were two of them and one shot her before she even realized he was there. I tried to call out to her like I did with you. I offered to help but... She refused to release me. Said if were to break her vow just to save her life than she didn't deserve to live anyway."

"Oh, shit. That... That's kind of harsh. I mean I respect her determination and all that but... You offered to help her and she shot you down? Because of what you are?"

"No. Not because of what I am. Some witches are none to use demons for their spell work. Some witches are even bound to certain princes. There's one who literally has a coven who serves him. One demon fell in love with a witch. One of the sister witches who were all apart of the great witches... until he died that is."