92

Time froze like ice as Roman's eyes went white. He ran, not even thinking about anything but protecting his love, as he pulled Virgil back and into the devil's trap he had run right out of. Roman's eyes shot wide the second he felt the blade press into him making him gasp out at the sudden pain sparking through him. Light exploded around him blinding everyone. Dark shadowy wings burned into the wall, as his body began to spark with light and electricity, making his skeleton literally shine through his skin with every flash. There was this build-up of pressure as the blade impaled his heart until...

The world completely flashed white forcing him close his eyes. He felt himself hit the ground only to frown feeling the soft feeling of grass beneath his fingers. He tensed in confusion as he slowly opened his eyes only to freeze up seeing he was outside. How?

He knew he couldn't teleport. He had no access to his powers. He KNEW he felt the blade stab into his...

His eyes flashed brightly as he stared at his hand, shock filling him completly over the dark skin he hadn't had before. He carefully pushed himself up until he was sitting as he just looked his arms over. His arms that were a dark moacha skin tone and completely devoid of any scars or tattoos. Even his tattoo of his and Virgil's mate mark was gone. His eyes darted up to see the hair falling over his face... his hair that was now black as tar.

"Hello, Roman." Roman's head jerked up only for tears to spill instantly at the two standing there before him. Ash smiled softly as he knelt down and held his hand out for him. "It's been a very long time... hasn't it?"

"Ash?" Roman frowned as his voice came out slightly higher than he didn't remember having. "I don't understand. How..."

"You died, I'm afraid." Fiona whispered sadly as Ash nodded with a squeeze of Roman's hand. "You sacrificed yourself to save Virgil's soul."

"A demon wouldn't have done that." Ash added only making Roman's obsidian eyes darken.

"I don't understand. If I died... I was killed with a demon's blade. I shouldn't..." Roman's face fell as his hand went to his chest with a sad look. "The soul... It's because of the soul isn't it. I wasn't soulless." Fiona just smiled as Roman seemed to deflate. "Where am I? Shouldn't I be in hell?"

"Roman... You sacrified yourself for another. Demon's don't do that." Fiona repeated ashes earlier statment as Roman just shook his head.

"I am a demon though. You both know this. I-..." Ash took both his hands as he shook his head making Roman falter.

"Roman... look around you." Roman's eyes narrowed as he slowly glanced around only to freeze up at all the lights and clouds that surrounded them. The magic that filled the air completely enraptured him as his eyes darted about in confusion.

"If you were a demon... you wouldn't be here." Fiona lulled as Roman just continued to cry. "Demon's aren't allowed in heaven after all."

"H-Heaven? I'm... I'm in... How? How did I... I don't u-understand. How can I be here then?" Fiona and Ash just shared a look as the two stepped back making Roman tense in concern. Ash smiled softly as he gently pressed his hand to Roman's chest making Roman's eyes instantly turn white at the sudden surge of energy in him. His breath lapsed as his body went ridged under it all. Fiona started to cry herself over it all as she placed her own hand over Ashes making the engery that much stronger. Roman gasped loudly as his body twitched under the pressure. Light fluxed around him as his eyes started to get brighter and brighter. The light started to envolope him until the air glitched and shifted revealing large pure white wings, magic swirling around all three of them. Roman's wings fluttered casting feathers to fall as tears fell like etheral lights down his dark skin. "How?" Fiona and Ash both move back as Roman just sputtered trying to collect himself. his wings flutter about, each beat pounding in his mind reminding him they were his, as he just choked on his tears over the awe that filled him. "How... How is this possible? How... Wait." Roman's eyes suddenly darkened as his wings dipped under the weight of all his emotions. "I really am dead then. I... I'm dead and in heaven. I'm... The soul... It has to be the soul. I just don't understand."

"The choices you made... the actions.. The emotions... Roman your soul was always a pure one and you proved it worthy of this place a LONG time ago." Ash whispered as Fiona gently brushed Roman's black hair back.

"Roman was never a demon. YOU were never a demon." Roman's eyes narrowed, his face filled with such sadness as Fiona tried to brush his tears away. "I could feel it. Your soul... It was so strong... so light and pure. You were always an angel." Roman's eyes shot wide as everything finally clicked into place.

"That's why that demon wanted me so bad... to corrupt an angel would give them so much power but... I don't understand. I couldn't be..."

"Roman, you gave up everything for everyone. You suffered through hell on earth and still held that pure soul till death. You had an angels soul far stronger than any i'd ever felt. You ALWAYS belonged in heaven. The demon just... got in the way." Roman literally couldn't stop crying as everything just swirled in his head.

"Roman?" Fiona whispered trying to gently bring his focus back to them. "What's your greatest wish?" Roman tensed as his eyes darted to the older angel who just smiled knowingly. "The last time I asked you, you said it was to be human. So, I'm asking you again. What is your greatest wish, if you could literally have anything?" Roman completely brakes down as his eyes flash brighter, his wings fluttering in desperation.

"To be with my love." Roman's voice was broken and shakey as he wiped his tears away only for more to fall. "To spend foever making him smile and laugh with everything I have. I just... I love him." Roman entire body seamed to deflate as his eyes fell to the ground. "Virgil..." Roman gripped his shirt tightly as everything crashed in him. He fell to his knees as he choked back his sobs, shaking endlessly while Ash and Fiona just smile softly at him. "I need to go back. I can't stay here. I need to protect him. I love him."

"There's a way." Everything went completely silent as Roman slowly but surely glanced up at them with glowing eyes, fiona's wordss filling the air like an awsered prayer. "A way for you to go back... but you won't be human like you wanted." Roman could feel the hope surging in his chest making his wings flutter again. "However... you won't be a demon either. That part of your life is over."

"H-How... Please? How? I need to go back. I have to be with him." Ash knelt down to meet his gaze as he smiled making Roman's eyes light up.

"We can send you back. A new purpose... a new life... a new job. No more demon contracts or anything like that. You'd can be with him again without ever having to be afraid of everything hell did to you. You just have to accept the new possition... and we'll send you back." Roman's smile grew only for his eyes to drop to his arm and frown again making Ash falter in confusion. Roman clenched his fist as he just stared at it before meeting Ash's eyes again.

"I wouldn't have your body anymore..." Ash's eyes widdened in suprise as Roman's eyes darkened. "... would I?"

"No... you wouldn't." Roman deflated as Ash gently pressed his hand into his shoulder comfortingly. "That body is long gone. And despite all that happened to it with the cultist, to which I do not blame you for... I have to thank you for taking such good care of it." Roman smiled softly as he nodded. "To see how much you cared about it... meant the world to me."

"I didn't want to lose it, but it seems I no longer have a choice."

"No, you won't have my body anymore..." Ash lulled softly before carefully standing up making Roman have to look up at them. "But you will have something far better than that." Roman's eyes narrowed in confusion before they shot wide as he sudden't looked himself over again with tears in his eyes. The memories of when he was a human... the picture in the book... He had forgotten just what he had looked like. "You'll have your own."

"Do it." Roman growled with this deep routed determination, burning through his veins. "Send me back."