68

TW~Mentions of death, panic

"Let's set up here." Virgil lulled as he laid the blanket down on the grass as Roman held the basket in his hands. "Here, we go."

"Virgil, what are we doing?" Roman eyes the checkered blanket with this confused look as Virgil laughed and took the blanket from him. 

"We're going to have a picnic, Ro." Roman sat down beside his human just watching as Virgil started to pull some food out of the basket. "I figured the two of us could go on a date."

"A picnic?" Roman just stared at the sandwich in his hand, tears forming in his eyes as the memories swirled around him. "Why does something like this have a name?"

"I don't know. Honestly, it's just eating outside, although the blanket and basket I had you summon are like... picnic staples." Virgil chuckled softly all too aware of how Roman was holding back his tears. He couldn't help but feel bad. All Virgil wanted was to help his demon to feel better. Unfortunately, there wasn't any guide in how to help someone grieve over their own death. "Roman... are you ok?"

"Yeah." Roman smiled sadly as he continued to just stare at the sandwich. "It's just... Ava and I did this a lot. Not... Not outside. We weren't allowed to be out there. If I managed to get some food for her we'd take it to our room and eat on the floor with this blanket." Roman chuckled as he finally looked away from the sandwich to give Virgil a smile. "Sometimes I'd make a fort for her. If Papa was sleeping I'd push the beds closer so I could use the blankets to make a hideout. It always made Ava smile." Roman sighed as his hand dropped a bit. "We didn't get to do it often. We rarely had food."

"Ro? It's ok." Roman shook his head as he just stared off at nothing, slowly nibbling away at the small sandwich despite the lack of a need to eat. Doing things like eating or sleeping... they make him feel normal... human. If only the nightmare would stop. "I love you." Roman's eyes snapped over, seeing how sad his love was and he crashed. He carefully inched his way over, nuzzling his head into Virgil's shoulder as he continued to eat. Virgil wrapped his arms around the other feeling how Roman relaxed a little into him. Contact always did work best with helping the demon the most. Roman let out a soft rumble as Virgil started to play with his hair. "I love you, Roman."

"I love you too, Flos." Roman whispered as he let out a soft breath. "I'm sorry things are so... bad with me right now."

"You're grieving, Roman. It's normal." Roman just nodded as Virgil held him closer seeing how the demon was done eating. "It's all normal. We'll get through this. I promise."

"I just... Mi Hermana, Virgil..." Virgil tensed feeling the way Roman started to shake. "She... She tried to help me. She tried to stop him and... And if I hadn't put myself between them, he would have hurt her. He killed me for it. My own father killed me. Papa..." Roman choked as he pressed himself into the other trying to hide himself away. "Por qué papá? Por qué me odiaste tanto?" Virgil's heart was actually breaking. The pure pain and heartbreak his love was going through over everything were horrible. To learn the love of your life suffered the way he had... It tore Virgil apart. All he wanted was to help Roman, but he knew he couldn't... not with something like this. All he could do was be there for him. "Por qué no era lo suficientemente bueno?"*Why Papa? Why did you hate me so much?**Why wasn't I good enough?*

"Ro-..." Roman suddenly pushed back, his eyes blank as he started to panic. "Roman? Breathe for me love."

"Why wasn't I good enough?" The heart-wrenching tone Roman had in his voice was enough to turn the air to ice. Virgil simply sighed as he brushed Roman's hair back seeing how the demon's tears started to fall. "I did everything he asked. I followed his rules as best as I could. I took care of Ava since she was born so he could work and not have to get mad. I did everything." Roman curled into himself as he let out a broken laugh. "I kept the house clean. I got food for us. I HELPED HIM WHEN HE WAS SICK!" His magic flared as he completely broke down. His voice going soft as he just stared at the blanket below him. "Por qué papá me mató?" *Why did Papa kill me?*

"Roman, look at me." Roman snapped up at the command making Virgil deflate as he reached out and caressed his cheek softly. Roman's eyes softened as Virgil just smiled at him. "It's going to be ok. Whatever he thought was wrong. You are so special. You mean everything to me, ok? You're my demon. My love..."

"I don't want to be a demon." Roman whined as Virgil pulled him closer. "I don't want to be a demon, Virgil. Mama... She... She told me not to lose my light." Virgil didn't know what to do anymore. So he just held the breaking demon as Roman spiraled. "She said to never lose that glow I had. She said I was such a good boy... that... That I was a kind soul."

"You are, Roman." Roman shook his head cutting Virgil off as he gripped the human's clothes tighter. "Ro..."

"I broke my promise to her, Virgil. I became a demon. The worst demon ever... Mama... Mama would be so disappointed in me. Ava... she would be scared of me. Virgil, I don't understand why this had to happen." 

"I know, Ro. I know." Virgil choked back his own tears as Roman cried into him. "It's scary... to learn what you did. I can understand that. I do... I'm sorry your suffering so much."

"I just want the memories to stop." Roman whined as the two of them laid back against the blanket just melting into each other's arms. "I want the pain to stop. I don't want to be a demon anymore. Why..." Roman growled out as everything got too much in him. "Why did that demon have to have me so much? Why did she press me? Demons don't typically seek out a deal, they let the human come to them. So why... why did she want me?"

"Ro?" Roman's head was spinning as he felt like he was being crushed under the weight of his past.

"Why did she want my soul so bad?"