18

"My first sleepover..." Roman giggled as he bounced about in his seat happily, smiling away as Virgil just watched him closely. "I can't wait. Ooh! Maybe be can invite Patton. I bet he would like it."

"You're very excited aren't you, Roman?" Roman froze taking in what Thomas had asked.

"Ex... Excited?" Thomas nodded as he looked back into the mirror to see Roman's confused expression.

"Not one you've heard before." Roman shook his head as Thomas just smiled. "Ah, well... excitement is..."

"Excitement is a feeling of great enthusiasm and eagerness." Roman paled as his eyes shot over to Virgil who seeming to count off his fingers. "It's a sense of extreme happiness over something that's going to happen and you just can't wait for it. You get all bubbly and can have a rush of energy depending on how excited you are. It's... It's a feeling you get when you're looking forward to the future."

"Uh... thank... Thank you, Virgil." Virgil quirked a brow and Roman sighed as he just shrugged. "I told you I'm not exactly very knowledgeable about things."

"But emotions?" Virgil rolled his eyes and just waved himself off as turned to stare out the window. "Forget it. It's fine. I know about a guy who doesn't understand them. Everyone has their thing. I just... um." Virgil shot Thomas this look making the other sigh in understanding. "You seem far more... shut it than one would assume from a very... rich household."

"I'm adopted." The car came to a stop at the house just as Roman panicked and just blurted out a cover story making Thomas pale as Virgil just laughed.

"That makes sense." Virgil smiled as he rolled his eyes and nudged Roman a bit on his arm. "You don't have a clue how to be rich and popular as people born into this are a natural at."

"What do you mean?"

"Your first mistake... was befriending me." Virgil teased as he started out of the car only to wince as the pain in his gut make Roman flare a bit I concern. 

"Virgil?!" Roman literally teleported over to him far too worried to even care about getting spotted, thankfully Virgil's eyes were strewn shut in pain so... he didn't see. "Virgil?" Roman gently helped him up letting the other lean against him as he helped him into the house. "It's ok. Let's get you to the couch or... Do you want to just rest?"

"I uh... I don't..."

"I'd take him to your room. kiddo." Thomas called back as he closed the front door. "Just until we can set up his. He should probably be in bed until he's at least able to move around a bit more."

"Oh. Ok." Roman smiled softly as he carefully led Virgil into his room. He didn't even notice the sigil on the door as he pushed it open. He was completely hyperfocused on his charge. He gently sat Virgil on the bed instantly going into caretaker mode. He gently nudged Virgil head up a bit till he was looking him in the eyes. "What hurts?"

"It's nothing." Roman's eyes softened as Virgil sighed and held his stomach loosely. Roman nodded as he laid Virgil back a bit pausing with his hand on Virgil's shirt. 

"Can I see?" Virgil blushed with embarrassment as Roman just laughed. "It's ok Virgil. I know what I'm doing."

"You're a high school student."

"And I know more about the human anatomy than literally anything else. It's ok. I only want to check your ribs." Virgil groaned as Roman tugged on his shirt a bit not wanting to do anything without verbal confirmation. "Please?"

"Just... Fine." Roman smiled as he gently lifted his shirt only a bit, showing just the stomach regain and his eyes flashed red. He withheld the growl from his lips seeing the dark-colored bruising and he sighed. 

"We need to ice it a bit. I want to keep the swelling down but it is a bit old by the looks of it so it should be ok. Just..." Roman pulled the shirt back down not wanting Virgil to be too uncomfortable. He was already a bit red-faced which only worried Roman more, thinking he was getting sick. "I think Thom... Dad was right about you staying in bed though, Virge." Virgil's eyes snapped over at the nickname as Roman just smiled supportively. "Your ribs are bruised pretty badly. It's going to cause discomfort if you move around too much. So I think just laying down until it clears up is good."

"I can't be bed bound. Do you realize how boring that is?" Roman frowned with a tilt of his head making Virgil's face fall. "What?"

"Boring?" Virgil sighed as Roman glanced off in thought. "I don't think I've heard that either."

"It's um... hard to explain, Ro." Roman's eyes lit up as Virgil rolled his eyes to lost in trying to find a way to explain to even realize he had just given the man a nickname. "It is a way to describe a sense of... uninterest or exhaustion over not doing anything. An example would be when you're just sitting there listening to someone drug on and on about a topic that holds no interest for you. A lack of enjoyment or excitement. Just... a sense of blah."

"Blah?" Roman chuckled as Virgil shook his head. "That's a word?"

"Yes, and it has a definition too. Look it up." Roman just laughed taking Virgil a bit by surprise who actually smiled a bit. "I just... I don't like being stuck somewhere, Ro. It's one thing if I self-isolate. I'm a loner... but it's different when it's something like this. It's boring. I don't even have my stuff. It's all at my house. I just..."

"Don't worry, Virge. We can figure all that out later. I just want you resting for now so you don't get hurt worse." Virgil's eyes narrowed as Roman stared off at the wall. "As long as I am able to... I'm going to help you get better. Ok?"

"It's not like I really have a choice here. You strong-armed me into this." Roman tensed up as Virgil just chuckled softly. "Although... I still should thank you, Roman."

"What for?" Virgil smiled as he gave the demon this very light expression that... actually made something happen in Roman. Again, it wasn't something he could explain. Just that he felt... light seeing it. Like the room seemed to brighten just a bit and the gravity lessened on him. Did that make sense? 

"For being pushy... for not listening to me when I said to leave me alone. For... for trying to be my friend."