49

"ROMAN!" Virgil screeched as the demon suddenly took his hand and teleported straight to the cabin. Roman laughed as he twirled his human around before just holding him close. "What the hell?"

"What?" Roman teased as he brushed the other's hair back. "I couldn't wait any longer."

"Our bags?" Roman blinked his red eyes flashing brightly as Virgil tensed seeing all their things materialize beside them.

"I told you... I couldn't wait any longer." Virgil sighed with a small smile as he just stared up into those red eyes. "Can you blame me? An entire week doing things I've never done before with you and those who don't hate me... or well... Most of you know and have accepted me."

"I'm certain if the others did too they would as well, Ro." Roman's eyes darkened a bit as he just shook his head.

"Logan's very iffy on his belief of the occult, all though he does support it. Kai might... he's got that soul that makes me think that once he's your friend he's with you till the end. But Fiona..."

"What about me?" Roman jumped, yelled out in fear, as Fiona just chuckled seeing how much she had scared the two. She hadn't actually meant to frighten them. To be completely honest she didn't even think she COULD sneak up on Roman. "Sorry about that."

"It's ok... just startled me." Roman choked on his world a bit only to melt over the soft chuckles his human made over his reaction. "Oh laugh it up, Flos."

"I will, thank you." Virgil teased back with a very sassy smirk making Roman beam. Virgil stopped short instantly noticing Roman's eyes were still red and pale. "Uh... Ro... Roman your..."

"My what?" Roman blinked a bit in confusion, as Virgil discreetly pointed to his eyes, making him stop short. "They're still red aren't they?"

"Yep." Fiona giggled making the two completely drop as she spun around and wrapped her arm around the demon. "Don't worry. I know all about the occult. Just ask Virgil. Our project WAS on the history of demons and their impact on culture."

"You... You know?" Fiona's eyes darkened despite the smile she still kept on her face. Roman honestly didn't know what to think. "Wait... I'm confused. If you know, why aren't you screaming at me?"

"Why is everyone else not screaming at you?" She countered as she pointed over at Virgil. "I mean... our group only really has like what... two humans. You've got two witches AND a hunter... Virgil here would classify as a mate."

"A what?" Roman paled as he suddenly looked away, not wanting to see his human's face when the mark got explained. Virgil just stood there, eyes narrowed, as Fiona chuckled.

"A mate. I don't really know why you're called that when it's so much different than just... that but... that mark you have on your wrist." Virgil's eyes widened as he stared down at it making Fiona smile more. "It's the mark given to the being the demon in question completely submits too. They give themselves over as their knight, carer, or lover. Basically, it means that the demon is completely and totally yours and will do whatever you say whenever you say."

"You make it sound like we're slaves." Roman growled as Fiona just shrugged.

"Aren't you?" Virgil's paled as Roman just looked away unable to answer as Fiona's smile finally dropped. "Am I wrong?"

"It's more about emotion than about... servitude. That's why they're called mates. We willingly give them that mark because we care. For a demon to submit... it's a big deal." Roman whispered as his eyes finally met with Virgil's. "We're literally putting our being into the hands of someone... who could essentially destroy us."

"I can it can be romantic when you put it that way." Fiona chirped in as she glanced at all the bag, highly aware she had made the demon very uncomfortable. "I'm guessing you two would probably be sharing a room then considering the bond. I've already picked mine. I would say you guys should pick yours before everyone starts arriving that way the human doesn't at least have any questions." Virgil nodded, albeit hesitantly as he glanced over at Roman. The demon just shook his head letting Virgil start to carry their bags in while Fiona stared him down. "Sorry about that... I told you. Sometimes the words just come out."

"What are you really?" Fiona hummed a bit in confusion as Roman narrowed his eyes. "Three humans... Kai, Logan, Virgil... right?" Fiona's face fell seeing the look Roman was giving her. "What does that make you?"

"I'm not entirely sure if what I know is accurate... but aren't demons supposed to 'feel' when other occult ar next to them?" Roman crashed with a nod as he hugged himself a bit and shrugged.

"Yeah... we are. But with you, I don't know. There's this buzz like... I can feel something digging into me but I can't for the life of me ever figure it out." Fiona's eyes held this dull gaze as she forced a fake smile and patted his shoulder, making the demon freeze up at the near painful presence.

"That sounds more like a you thing if I'm being honest Ro. If I was occult and you were supposed to be able to feel me... don't you think you would?"

"Yes but the..."

"I don't know what the buzz is but... If I were you... I'd be trying to figure out what's wrong with me before accusing someone else." Roman stopped dead, his blood turning to ice as Fiona started to walk off. "I mean... I don't really think I'm in the wrong to say that I don't particularly want to be hanging out with a possible... defected demon." She paused for a second, a smirk on her lips, as she just stared ahead completely ignorant to the fear and pain in Roman's eyes. "I wouldn't want you to do anything after all. Although, I'm not the one you keep at your hip. If anything DID happen... I don't think I'M the one that would end up at the brunt of it. Do you?"

"Are you trying to upset me?" Fiona jerked slightly, her face flashing in panic, as he turned to see the worry in Roman's eyes. "Because if you're trying to figure out if I'm a danger or anything... I can understand but... I'm NOT going to hurt anyone. I don't want to."

"Of course you don't." Fiona quickly called back that usual bright smile on her lips. "Whoever said you did?"

"But you just said..."

"I said what?" Roman frowned more as Fiona waved him off. "You're being silly Ro. I'm going to see if Virgil needs any help. The others should be arriving soon anyway."

"Right." Roman watched as she walked off this pit in his chest as he tried to calm himself down. He didn't know what to think but he knew what his thoughts were starting to spiral. Was she right? Was something wrong with him? Could he really snap? He did have that attack for literally no reason. If he snapped... Virgil would be the closest to him. He could hurt Virgil. He didn't want to. He really didn't but... 

He was a demon and nothing was ever going to change that... no matter how much he begged and pleaded not to be.

Maybe... Maybe he should listen to himself... and do his job. He's supposed to be protecting Virgil... keeping him safe. The biggest thing Virgil needed to be protected from...

...was himself.