51

"Good night Logan!" Everyone called out as the nerd of the group just rolled his eyes and started for the cabin. He was very adamant about his sleep and health, which was a good thing... if not a bit boring. The others didn't mind much although it did allow them to be more open and less careful about what they were talking about considering Logan was the only one who didn't know about things. 

"Ok. Now... scary stories." Remus hissed with a joyful laugh his silver hair literally glowing in the light of the fire. Roman just rolled his eyes as he leaned back against his two-person bench glancing over at Virgil who was currently holding a marshmallow over the fire... even though Roman didn't know why he was happy to see the determined glimmer in the boy's eyes. "Who wants to go first?"

"I doubt any story we come up with would compare to something he'd make." Fiona offhandedly commented as she stared into the fire with dazed eyes. It wasn't until she noticed the air had gone dead did she finally look up to see the pain in everyone's eyes. "Oh, shit... I am sorry. I actually really did not mean to say that..." Roman just shook his head as he sighed.

"You aren't wrong." Virgil squeezed his hand only to freeze as Roman quickly pulled it away, his eyes never leaving the familiar glow of the scarlet flame. "I have plenty of stories to tell. Stories of... horror and fear... Though I'm certain if I shared them, none of us would be sleeping fairly well. I know I wouldn't." Fiona frowned as he saw how dark those eyes had turned as Roman gave up on disguising himself. His red eyes held such a dazed expression despite the smile he had attempted to have. "Then again you've all probably heard the worst." Roman laughed as he shrugged and leaned his head against his hand. "I mean... being trapped for 500 years in a planchette doesn't exactly give you any idea on what was published or shared about your past."

"Roman-..." 

"The fact that Lady Fi-..." Roman sighed as he cut himself and Virgil off before glancing up to see the pure befuddled look in Fiona's gaze. "Forget it. My stories are all old news anyway. What about you? Do you have any?"

"No. Well, yes but... It's also one that's been heard before." Roman nodded in understanding as she just watched him with this growing confusion. "You know... I do not get you? You like... a walking enigma."

"What's an enigma?"

"A person or thing that is mysterious, puzzling, or difficult to understand." She answered before she even realized what she had said only to notice Roman's eyes light up. 

"Wait... that's the same as the verb puzzle." Roman laughed softly as he smiled a bit in thought. "My friend used to say I puzzled her all the time." Fiona's face just dropped as Roman glanced over at Virgil, this question in his eyes. "I didn't know there were other ways to say it?"

"There's even more still... like a conundrum." Virgil added only making Roman's eyes light up even more till they were practically sparkily. "One of these days you and I just have to go and fall down the spiral of a thesaurus. You seem to really enjoy learning new words and things... especially about emotions."

"Yeah well... It's hard not to when you know nothing about them." Roman laughed at himself as he turned back to the fire with a soft smile. "I mean... she taught me some before... well... but there's still so much out there I want to know... want to experience."

"Like love?" Virgil teased as he nudged Roman's arm making Fiona's eyes shoot up in surprise. 

"Yes, Virgil. I the great damned demon want to experience the shit fest that is love." Roman teased back before deflating slightly under all his thoughts. "It's just... I don't get it. Everything I've learned besides Patton and his relationship... is telling me love is a bad thing. But Fio-.. My friend told me it was the best feeling in the world."

"I didn't know demons COULD feel love." Roman completely crashed at that as Fiona glared the demon down. You could literally hear the way Remus growled over her comment but it was clear she honestly didn't care. "What? It was a genuine thought. I didn't think demons could genuinely feel the emotion of love. In fact, I didn't really think they felt much of anything... beside Roman of course." She hissed a little darkly, tears building in her eyes that everyone seemed to ignore. "I mean... He's shone he can at least feel fear right? And be 'soft' with people..." 

"THAT'S ENOUGH!" Roman jumped up causing the fire to flurry under his emotions as he tried to hold back his own tears. Fiona just sighed as she stood up herself, expecting the demon to attack or something but... "It's obvious... that you've had a bad experience with a demon." Fiona's eyes shot wide in shock as Roman's voice came out hoarse and strained. "Whether personally or otherwise...isn't my business... but that judgment and anger are obvious considering the CONSTANT jabs at me."

"I don't mean to be so..."

"Save it." Roman quickly cut her off as he smiled sadly and shrugged. "None of what you said was in any way wrong."

"Roman!" Virgil tried to pull him back knowing full well this was only going to make his demon spiral but Roman simply yanked his arm free as he turned away from everyone. 

"I think it would be best if I turn in for the night. You guys... you just enjoy the fire and... smores?... Whatever they are... I'll see you in the morning." Fiona watched with this muted concern as Roman waved everyone goodbye and started for the cabin. Virgil took one look at her and just ran in after not wanting to risk anything happening.

"You really don't have an idea who the fuck Roman is, do you?" Remus hissed in rage as Fiona flinched at the sudden aggression.

"I know more than you think."

"I doubt it." Remus rolled his eyes as he turned to stare back at the cabin fully imaging Roman to be crying at this point. "If you did you wouldn't have been so harsh."

"I didn't mean it." Fiona muttered honestly as she ran her hands through her hair. "I wasn't actually trying to upset him."

"Well, you did." Janus cut in with an equally upset tone, seeing how his brother was just sitting there in absolute silence since it all had started. "I won't lie... I don't particularly trust him much myself and I sure as fuck didn't like him in the beginning but Whatever your reason is for not liking him... He's not like any other demon." Fiona just crashed as she smiled sadly, her confusion finally winning out over everything.

"You're right about that at least."