7

"What do you mean, Kiddo?" Roman faltered a bit at the nickname but decided to just let it slide. He didn't really know anything about humans after all. For all, he knew it was normal. Maybe he should be giving Virgil nicknames. Roman shook his head out of his thoughts as he smiled over at the other. 

"I know this boy... who I really want to be friends with. His name is Virgil Reed." Patton's eyes shined as he nodded in understanding.

"I know him. Or well, I know of him. I'm sad to say I've never actually met him before. He doesn't really like talking to people. A bit of shy guy..." Roman frowned as Patton sighed sadly. "I'm a bit to... energetic for him, I'm afraid. I've noticed that he doesn't really like loud people much. Otherwise, I would have said hello already."

"Well, Pat, that's exactly what I need you to do." Patton shot Roman a confused look as the taller laughed softly. "He doesn't have any friends besides me and... I'm sad to say he doesn't even see that either. I just want him to be a little happier you know."

"Oh, Kiddo. I would but... I don't think he'd like me." Roman's eyes narrowed as he examined the human before smiling softly. 

"Trust me, Padre. Virgil needs some more positivity. He'll like you. You just can't give up. I won't." Patton beamed as he giggled making the smaller look like an over-excited toddler. It was actually kind of... adorable.

"Do you really think so?" Roman nodded making the boy squeal with joy. "I can't wait!" 

"I'm sure he'd..." Roman froze up, eyes glowing a bright and dangerous red, as everything just shut down on him. Patton held him in his arms as he giggled softly ignoring or just plainly oblivious to the obvious awkward and slightly fearful tension that tore through the demon completely. "I, uh... What... What are you doing?" Patton laughed as he pulled away with a smile. Roman quickly shut his eyes trying to calm down as to not let his eyes continue glowing.

"I'm sorry. Do you not like hugs? Logi says I really need to ask first but I always forget to." Roman frowned as he slowly let his eyes open again, not that they weren't glowing, and just started off in confusion. 

"You... You hugged me?" Patton nodded excitedly as Roman got a bit lost in thought. His arms wrapped around himself as his eyes narrowed the further his confusion got. "You hugged me."

"Yep. Like I said. I'm sorry. I should have asked."

"No. No, it's ok. I uh... I just wasn't expecting it." Or even knew what it was... Roman couldn't stop the small smile the started to appear. So that's what a hug felt like. He hadn't expected it to be so... warm. "I like hugs."

"I'm glad. Everyone deserves a hug every now and again." Roman's smile grew as he nodded.

"I agree. However, I wouldn't do that with Virgil. He's a bit... jumpy." Patton's smiled dropped a bit but Roman could tell he still understood. Chances are he knew more about his charge than he did. He really doesn't know a thing about Virgil save for what he managed to pick up that night and in class. Virgil was very antisocial and that worried Roman a bit. If a hug could feel like that then... why was Virgil going out of his way to not have friends?

"Ok, kiddo. I'll try to talk to Virgil at some point." Patton gave Roman one last hug, making the demon tense but still smile over the action. "But I've got to get going. My boyfriend won't be happy if I have to borrow his notes again because I was late for class."

"Ok, Pat. I'll talk to you later then." Patton nodded as he started to run off only for Roman's mind to suddenly remember something. "Patton, wait!" Patton skidded to a halt as Roman's face filled with anxious realization. "You said... You said boyfriend." Patton's eyes narrowed in confused concern as Roman just stood there in shock. "You have a boyfriend?"

"Yes... I do. I'm gay. Is that a problem."

"No." Roman quickly shook his head as he tried to laugh it off. "No, certainly not. Gender shouldn't matter... I just uh... I guess... I just wanted to know what it's like."

"What what's like?" Roman's face fell as he rubbed his arm previously. "Kiddo?"

"What love was like..." Patton's eyes shot wide as Roman just sighed. "Forget it. It's a stupid question. You don't have to..."

"Love is different for everyone, Kiddo. And on top of that, there are multiple kinds of love. Love for your family, for your friends, your pets, yourself, or even the things you create. Theres an endless stream of possible way you can feel love towards someone or something. Like Logan and I... I love him romantically just as he does me. But our love... won't be the same as say... your love if you found someone to give it. That is if you haven't already." Roman just shook his head as he smiled softly. "Did that at least help with your question?"

"Yeah. It did. Thanks, Padre."

"Anytime, kiddo, but I really must be going." Roman just stood there watching as Patton raced down the hall just as the bell rang signaling the end of Roman's lunch. It's not like Roman needed to eat. He could but he doesn't. What's the point in eating or sleeping when you don't have to? He's never done it before in his demonic life, why start now?

Roman's arms wrapped around himself again as if trying to give himself a hug and he just sunk slightly with a smile. It wasn't the same but it still felt nice. He had never had a hug before. Who would ever hug a demon? And with how he was then, he wouldn't blame them. Still, for his first hug it wasn't bad at all. His mind slowly went to what Patton had told him about love and he sighed, his arms falling to his side. So he wouldn't really know until he experienced it himself. At least that's what he got from that. 

"One day..." Roman nodded to himself as he turned himself around and started for his next period. "One day I'll know what love feels like. One day I'll get what I want the most."