44

"Wait so... You're serious about the break up being completely fine?" Virgil whispered softly as he, Roman, and Kai all walked down the hall of their school. Already Kai could see how Roman was clinging to Virgil, following his steps like a lost puppy. It was highly adorable, and he never did that with him. Roman was right about one thing... Virgil was different. Kai also knew that Roman just didn't know why yet.

"I am 100% fine with it, Virgil. I didn't 'break up' with him. We were more friends than anything." Kai laughed softly seeing how bright Roman's eyes shined just staring at the little emo before him. "I promise. I am completely ok with it... and with whomever, he decides to go out with in the future."

"I don't think I'm doing that again... a-at least not now." Roman muttered, making Kai sigh with a slight roll of his eyes. "I'm more than happy to just hang out with my friends." Roman chuckled softly as he pulled Virgil back into him with a soft blush to his face, making his human squeak in surprise. "Virgil and I need to catch up on some quality time." 

"Honestly, you two..." Kai teased before fixing his books with a smile. "Well, I have to go to Choir so..."

"I'll walk you." Roman quickly cut in making Kai laugh at the boy.

"You don't have to anymore..."

"Oh hush... I want to. We're still friends." Roman softly before giving Virgil one last look. "Are you ok with that?"

"What am I going to do? Stop you?" Virgil teased as he shook his head and waved them on. "Go ahead, Ro. I'll see you next class."

"Why not this class?" Roman frowned as he choked back to urge to just tell Virgil to go with them so that he didn't have to leave him.

"I'm hanging out in Mr. Grand's class this period. Ms. Ash has me doing this project with one of the kids in that class and it would be easier to just do it there." 

"O-Oh..." Roman's frown only grew as he just nodded tensely before walking off with Kai in silence. Virgil didn't really understand what that was about. He just shook himself out of his thoughts as he quickly made his way to Mr. Grand's room not wanting to be late.

He wasted no time hurrying to the table in that back seeing this girl already set everything up and he smiled. He plopped down in his seat with a quiet laugh making the girl roll her eyes playfully.

"What up, Fi?" She just laughed as she shrugged and tapped her pen on her notebook.

"Oh, nothing." She teased back before Virgil finally glanced over to see so much was already written down.

"Holy Shit, Fiona. Do you just not sleep?" Virgil sat there completely stunned as Fiona laughed again.

"Says the insomniac. I can see the dark circles, Virgil." She countered as Virgil just fake gasped like he knew Roman would do. 

"They are a fashion statement."

"Sure." The two giggled softly before quickly quieting down so they could get to work. "So... you said you were going to figure out-..."

"Yep. I've got it." Virgil beamed as he waved his own notebook about. "I had a friend help me. Roman knows all about this shit."

"Hey so, Fiona?" Virgil asked timidly as the class ended for the day. "I was wondering. Roman and I were going to hang out with some people later... did you want to join?" Fiona's eyes shined as Virgil just shrugged a bit. He wasn't usually the one trying to make friends... he typically pushed them away. "It's just I know your new and Patton would freak over meeting someone knew so I just thought..."

"I would love to. Just text me the detail's ok?" 

"You got it." Virgil visibly relaxed as he grabbed his stuff and watched Fiona head for the door, spotting a familiar face right away. "Oh shit. Roman!" 

"What?" Fiona asked as Virgil just laughed. 

"Roman... Of course, he's here." Virgil rolled his eyes playfully as he pointed over to the door where Roman was waiting. "That's Roman. If you want I could introduce you two now. Get it over with and everything." 

"Ro-man?" She whispered out in a very confused tone watching as Virgil raced to the man waiting. She gripped her bag as she glared the man down before forcing herself to smile. 

"Roman!" Virgil called out the second the demon spotted him and lit up.

"Virgil!" He responded just as happily gently pulling his human in with this sparkle in his eyes, completely ignorant to the girl who walked up beside him. "So we have about two more classes until mini-golf with Patton and then. Are you really not going to tell me what it is?"

"No." Virgil slapped his arm playfully making the demon groaned. "I want it to be a surprise."

"Fine. Fine... I can respect that." The sound of someone clearing their throat suddenly startled Roman out of his thoughts. He glanced up to see who it was only to freeze in a pure panic. His eyes went red instantly as he forced himself to look away praying that she hadn't seen but... His mind was spiraling. It couldn't be her. It couldn't be. But here she was standing right there beside them. "V-Virg-gil?"

"Oh, right." Virgil laughed at himself as he pushed himself out of Roman's arms, who was too panicked to even notice. "Roman, this is Fiona. She's a new student here. I got partnered with her for my project. Thought it might be nice to invite her to golf.

"F-Fion-na?" Roman muttered shakily as he slowly glanced back not careful to not let anyone see his red eyes through his hair that fell over his face. Virgil paused noticing the sudden stance his demon had before his eyes shot wide, and he cursed himself out.

"Fiona Kaine." Roman crashed completely at the soft voice she had as he lulled her name with a smile. "It's nice to meet you."

"Uh... Yeah. Sorry, we have to go." Virgil quickly called out seeing how Roman was completely gone at this point. "I'll text you the details. But Roman and I are going to be late if we don't hurry."

"Shit, right... I better run two then. See ya, Virgil." Fiona called as she quickly ran off leaving the two there on their own. Virgil wasted no time taking Roman's arm before dragging him off to the bathroom.

"Roman? Ro... Come one look at me. It's not her. It's..."

"F-Fiona." Virgil hissed at the anger he felt for himself as he aggressively shook his head. "It's her. It is her. She's..."

"A descendant or something. Roman... Trust me. It can't be her." Roman had tears literally streaming down his face as the two carefully sunk to the floor. Virgil held Roman's face in his hands as he smiled softly trying to calm the demon down before he spiraled too bad. "Roman... It can't be her."

"But... She looks just like her... sounds just like her. SHE HAS HER NAME!"

"But Lady Fiona Kaine is dead." Roman flinched, his eyes flashing brightly as he whimpered. "I'm sorry. I know it hurts you to think about or remember but she's dead. You saw it. You know this... That cannot be her."

"B-But... But I... I didn't... V-Virgil?"

"I'm so sorry I didn't think before introducing you. I should've used my damn head. I just... Fiona cannot be her Roman. Please breathe? Breathe and think this through?" Roman choked in a breathe as he nodded and just held Virgil for dear life. "Fiona was a human correct."

"She was my... his pet." Roman whined as removed Virgil's hand to his cheek just for comfort, feeling the change in him over touching the mark on his wrist. "She was human... bound to the body I had possessed."

"And she died."

"She died." Roman repeated far quieter than Virgil had as he sighed and just deflated. "She died because I couldn't save her. I didn't realize she had had a child before I got to her. I..." Roman frowned as he met Virgil's eyes with a very guilty expression. "I didn't know."

"It's ok, Roman. You've changed, remember? You aren't him anymore." Roman smiled sadly as Virgil ran his hands through his hair. "You aren't the same demon anymore."

"It's going to be hard dealing with a literal Fiona copy." Virgil laughed as he pulled Roman in letting the demon melt into him as he nodded.

"True, but you'll get through it because your strong... and you'll have me here to help."