55

TW~Blood, cuts, Torture

Fiona stood there staring at the demon just clinging to the chains that held him. The poor boy was covered neck down in blood and he wasn't doing too well about it. The red that covered him completely tore at his mind but the pain he was in broke it all to bits. He couldn't breathe. He couldn't even try. He was just knelt there hanging on by a thread praying he could hold himself together.

He didn't know how long he had been there. He didn't really care. Time slipped past his finger easily as the pain numbed nearly everything else out. All he knew was the burning in his skin and the rage he was desperate to hold back. Fiona sighed as she slowly made her way over to him, a small bowl of water in her hand as she sat down in front of him with a smile. He didn't even look up at her. He just stayed... frozen... one would think he might have been a statue but they all knew better.

"It's ok." Fiona whispered softly as she gently dabbed the cloth over the many cuts that trailed over the demon's chest. "It's ok, Roman." Roman gripped the metal chains at tightly as he could, his body stiff and rigid, clearly trying to hold himself back, as she went about cleaning his wounds. "I don't understand." Fiona sighed as he tried really hard not to break down at all the runes the cultists had literally carved into his skin. "You're just letting them do this."

"If it weren't for these chains I would have snapped all their necks." Roman whispered with a very dark growl only making both of them pause with equal looks of concern. Tears instantly came to Roman's eyes as he curled into himself making Fiona jump in to stop him. She held him close as he cried into her, the guilt over even having that urge burning through him. "I'm sorry. I'm sorry." He whimpered as he tried to hide in her embrace. "I just want to be human. I don't want to be a demon anymore. I can't stand it. I don't want to hurt anyone. I can't. Please... please just... let this work. Please let this work." He whispered to himself as he shivered in her arms. It tore completely at her heartstrings. It didn't even help that that warmth... that light she felt from him burned deep into her senses. She KNEW what she was feeling now but she didn't understand it. Demons don't have that warmth in them. Yet here he was... the great and powerful demon prince Romulus, sobbing into her chest as that warmth suffocated her. 

"Ro-..." 

"I'm not him. I'm not him. I'm not him." Roman muttered endlessly, slowly slipping into his mind, as his body went rigid again. Fiona panicked suddenly pushing back to see Roman's eyes flashing from red to green repeatedly as he just stared off at nothing completely dazed out. "I'm not him." Fiona reacted the only way she could. She held up Roman's hand, the back of it facing him, as she gently brushed his tears away with her other one. His eyes latched onto the tattoo instantly making him freeze up and shut down.

"Remember who your fighting so hard for, Roman." Roman smiled as he slowly started to relax. He could practically hear Virgil in his him whispered to him... urging him to calm down... telling him everything will be ok. He couldn't help but blush as he pulled his hand in, tears still slowly falling down his cheeks. He told Virgil goodbye. He told him he would never see him again. He told him they couldn't stay together... and now Virgil doesn't even know what Roman is putting himself through... just to get back there to him. Roman didn't mind that. Virgil didn't need to know the pain we was going through. Roman just wished... that maybe their goodbye was a bit less permanent sounding. He WAS going to get back. He WAS going to find a way.

"I WILL be human." Roman mumbled with a serious look in his eyes, as he looked up and nodded to Fiona. "I'll be human for him... no matter the cost."

"Where is it?!" Fiona ravaged through the library, searching for her notebooks, she KNEW the cult had. The whole reason she was even there at all was because they had read all her journals and decided she was the best choice to go after Roman. She knew EXACTLY what that warmth was now and she needed to know if she was right. She had to... it was the only thing that made any possible since. 

"Where... THERE!" She yanked to book out of its confined blessed they had at least transferred her writing to a better book and flipped frantically through the pages until... "The gypsy." Fiona crashed to her knees as her world tilted around her. Her memories swirled in her mind. She thought she had failed. She thought it didn't work. She never knew... She should have known. DAMN IT! It all made sense now.

Why Roman was so different... why he hated the sight of blood... why he hated himself and his past... the fact that he doesn't want to hurt anyone... the purity... the humanity... the warmth...

Fiona shifted a bit as she leaned against the wall, hands in her hair as her guilt tore her apart. She was the one that did that to him. She was the one the changed him. The gypsy... She asked her to give her something of him for a spell and in her desperation went along with it. The gypsy said she was going to make him suffer. Said she was going to force him to realize what he had done... said he was going to drown in remorse. She didn't understand what that meant or how she would make a demon regret what they did but... she understood it now.

She felt it in him as strongly as she could feel it in others she was just too blind and angry to even see it. That warmth... that light that Roman held in him...

Roman already had a soul.

And all this ritual is doing... is destroying it.