21

"Your... Your greatest desire?" Virgil could feel that pit forming in his chest as Roman visibly crashed. "What is it?"

"It's not important." 

"To hell it isn't, Roman..." Virgil paused noticing how broken the demon was and he frowned. "Roman what's wrong?"

"Wrong? What do you mean?" Roman tried to fake a laugh but by the way he tensed up he was clearly not ok. "I'm fine."

"What did I say about lying to me?" Roman's eyes shot wide as he shook his head and gripped his cup tightly.

"I'm not. I'm fine. Really." Virgil's eyes narrowed as Roman met his gaze and just... Shut down. "I can't explain it if I don't know."

"Oh." Roman smiled sadly as he sighed and pressed a hand to his chest. "Then maybe... maybe I can help?"

"I'm fine, Virgil..."

"No, you aren't." Roman flinched as he set the cup down and growled to himself. "Talk to me." Roman sat there trying to run through his thought. He really didn't understand what was going on. All he knew was when he looked back up at Virgil the look the human was giving him made his chest twinge bad.

"It's hard to breathe." Virgil's eyes widdened a bit as Roman gripped his shirt tightly. "I told you... there are things I don't know. I'm a demon... a demon that's been trapped for 500 years. I really don't know anything especially not emotions or feelings or..." Roman curled up a bit as he tried to work through everything. Virgil tensed up the second he could see the tears falling again. "It hurts. It's hard to breathe. I don't understand. I just... there's this weight on my chest."

"When did it start?"

"I-In my dream... no. Nightmare..." Virgil's eyes set as Roman shivered. "That... That was a nightmare. I think. Bad dream... Very... Very bad dream." Virgil frowned as he watched how Roman shivered and twitched. 

"Ro..."

"I'm not him..." Virgil's eyes shot wide as Roman muttered under his breath. "I'm not. I'm not him. It's not my fault. I didn't... I didn't d-do it... I.. I didn't..."

"Roman." Roman flinched as his eyes met back up with Virgil's. "Please? Talk to me. What happened?"

"Virgil, I'm... I don't want you to think badly of me." Virgil's eyes narrowed as Roman visibly withdrew further away from the human. "It's just... I'm... I'm a demon."

"I know what demon's are, Roman. Regardless of my beliefs in them... I know what they are." Roman's eyes only darkened as he nodded. 

"I'm not him. I... I don't want to be... I..." Roman crashed as he held his head in his hands. "I didn't do it."

"Didn't do what?"

"I didn't kill her." Virgil froze up as Roman growled under his breath. "I've killed... I've killed many... many times before. I've... done shit... very very very bad shit. I'm a demon. What would you expect. But I didn't kill her. I didn't kill her and didn't kill him. I'm not the man anymore. I'm not him." Roman's arms fell limp into his lap as he leaned back into couch, just staring blankely at the wall. Virgil never thought he'd see the day where a demon would be crying over guilt. "I didn't kill her. I cared about her."

"Who..."

"Lady Fiona Kane." Roman smiled softly making Virgil's frown grow more in confusios over this bubble in his throat from the sight of it. "She was the first person I ever actually felt anything things towards. I don't don't really understand any of it but back then... when I was still him I kew even less. She was one of his pets." Roman growled at himself at the thought before shaking his head angrily. "Her father made a deal with me. Fame, Fortune, The usual nine yards for his first born daughter."

"Why not his soul?" Roman faltered a bit as he turned back to see Virgil sitting there with this inquistive look. "Don't Demons usualy barter with souls?"

"Not always. It depends on the demon or the prince they fall under." Roman could see Virgil's eyes fill with this sort of spark that he didn't understand and Virgil almost laughed seeing the confused puppy dog look Roman gave him. "What are you feeling?"

"Intrigue." Roman's confusion only grew more making Virgil stiffle a chuckle. "Interest?"

"In... Inter... rest?" Virgil nodded as Roman bit his tongue slightly in thought. "Interest... in... Wait I should know this one. What is it... Wait." Roman frowned as he rememeber the definition Fiona had once told him. "You... WANT to know more?"

"Roman, I made a with the devil." Roman paled suddenly catching Virgil a bit off gaurd. "It's... It's just an expression, Ro... I mean. I DID make a deal with a demon but... What I'm saying is, I want to know everything that I got myself into. Including what it is I'm supposed to be doing for you."

"Virgil..."

"But you got me interested in the whole not all demons and it depend on the prince thing you said. Prince? There are princes?" Roman sighed as he nodded. "Wait... is there an actual devil?"

"No. Not... Not really anyway. Besides in Christianity, Lucifer is an angel that got cast out and became satan or the devil... meaning hes an angel not a demon and there for doesn't fit with us." Roman muttered half consiously as he stared of lost to everything. "I don't know. In all the years I've been alive I've never even met and angel let alone anyone fitting for the title of 'God's most beautiful angel...the Lightbringer'. No, as far as I'm aware there is no Devil. Just Princes. Each Prince typically has there own domain, demons that under them...there own way of doing things. There's one... Hes the one that is known the most for his deal and the cross rood demons that fall under him. He's the one that focus's on souls."

"Ro..."

"I just wanted pets." Virgil could see how Roman dazed out as he spoke as if his mind wasnt comepletely registuring what he was saying. "I wanted pets. Playthings... toys... My deals were always... person based for the most part. Sure there were exceptions, but I never made soul deals. What's the use of teathering their soul to me. What was I going to do with a soul? The body was far more enjo.... NO! FUCK!" Roman shook himself out of his head as growled out himself. "Not fun. Not good. Not nice. Stop. Just stop. Not him. You're not him." Roman took a deep breath forcing himself to relax as he turned to see Virgil watching him with a worried look. "I.. I'm sorry. I... I didn't say anything to bad... did I?"

"You hardly said anything to be honest, Roman." Roman let out a breath of relief before smiling a bit.

"Good. I don't want you scared of me. I'm not the same as I was back them. I'm different. I swear. Besides, I told you I couldn't do anything to you even if I did want to... which I don't. My job is to keep you safe and happy."

"Roman... I just have one last question." Roman quirked a brow at him as Virgil frowned. "Who's Romulus?" The way Roman's face went so blank as his eyes started to glow actually really worried the human boy. "Roman?"

"The Great Demon Prince Romulus of Destuction, Torture, and Death." Virgil's blood went cold as Roman turn away and grabbed his cup to sip, only really holding it tightly in his hands. "The Demon Prince who leaves nothing but ash, blood, and gore in his wake. The greatest and most ruthless of demons... Prince Romulus..." Roman's eyes slipped shut as he just sighed. "He's the worst demon to have ever lived, Virgil. When it came it him... nothing mattered but a persons screams. His only enjoyment came from the most extreme measures of panic and pain he could inflict on others. No one enjoyed his sick company... not even other demons. Hence the title of Shattered Prince." 

"Roman? Why did Remus call you by that then? He's such a hated and horrible demon... why would he call you that? Wouldn't that be an insult?" Roman simply got up setting his cup back on the table as he walked off, leaving Virgil alone with his thoughts.

"That's more than one question, Virgil." Roman muttered before leaving the room and Virgil just sat there with this icy feeling in his veins.