Pre-Dinner

Noah Kahan- Hurt Somebody. To those of y'all struggling. I love you guys! Y'all are all amazing!
-Rose

-----------------

Lyra's POV

We arrived at the edge of the treehouses as I turned to Sokka,

"I think we took a wrong turn" I laughed.

Sokka turned to me unimpressed,

"Really? I couldn't tell!" He remarked sarcastically.

"Don't worry, I think Asura knows" I nodded towards the curious cat-owl which tilted its head in confusion at the mention of her name.

I was lucky I wasn't able to see right now those big, cute, black eyes might've been my downfall had that been the case.

"Awww!" Sokka melted, "give her treats! Give her treats!" Sokka begged me.

Great, now I have two begging puppy dog eyes....

"Will it get you to shut up?" I questioned ruefully. You can't blame me, I'm hungry!

"Yes," Sokka said innocently.

"Fine" I caved, "but only if she leads us to dinner" I said to which Asura chirped excitedly.

I plucked a few dried bones from her food bag and tossed them high into the air.

Asura was quick to catch them and I didn't even finch as her wings brushed the top of my head, though her fast movements scared Sokka as she used him as a booster.

I laughed lightly at his girly scream from the sudden close call.

Asura had caught all three animal bones (no worries they were from when she caught extra meat for us to cook, I alway kept the bones for this exact reason. Also she tended to become calcium deficient really quick so this was a huge help when we didn't have time to hunt and she had to eat berries. I wasn't a psychopath.)

I allowed her to finish her treat, and kicked Sokka lightly in the shin,

"Oui, idiot. It's time to go." I said.

"Lyra, it's only me here" Sokka stated in confusion.

I nodded,

"That's what I said. Now get on, idiot" I said again with a teasing smirk.

I leapt onto Asura as his jaw dropped in mock offence,

"Wait, I'm the idiot?" He asked in mock offence but clamored on behind me.

Asura hissed lightly in annoyance,

"Careful you're ruffling her feathers, and she just finished grooming herself." I warned turning to him as he finally secured himself, "also, you're the idiot because you got two fishhooks in your finger" I reminded him as he muttered behind me,

"It was Katara's idea!" He said in his defense.

I shrugged in response,

"First of all; she was joking. Second; you decided to do it despite her telling you it was a joke" I rused.

Sokka deflated and his head landed between my shoulders.

"Your spine is weird," he said as sat up.

I raised my eyebrows but instructed him to grab on to my hips,

"How so?" I questioned lazily.

"It's bent weird" he stated, "it makes a weird 'S' shape" he supplied.

I rolled my eyes,

"Yeah, I know. Starting to hurt a bit much for my liking but I've been bending my muscles and blood to keep it in shape for awhile now." I shrugged.

"That's possible?!" Sokka asked in disbelief.

I nodded, turning to look at him weiry.

"It's completely normal.." I mused amusingly.

Sokka shook his head 'no' in response,  pehaps even alarmingly.

"That is not normal!" He said in alarm.

I pushed it away,

"I did the same thing when I punched that pirate into a tree- a wall- I can't remember what it was!" I shook my head.

"I forced my blood, and the muscles in my hand to put as much force into the attack as I could" I explained nonchalantly.

I heard Sokka's jaw pop as it dropped open,

"That was real?! I thought that was a dream!" He said in shock.

I turned to him worriedly,

"Are you okay, Sokka?" I questioned with raised eyebrows.

"Oh, yeah I'm totally fine- IT'S NOT LIKE I JUST LEARNED MY CUTE, INNOCENT BABY SISTER COULD SEND A FULL GROWN 6', 1" MAN INTO A TREE WITH ONLY HER FIST AND WATERBENDING-" Sokka shouted.

I was quick to silence him,

"Shush!" I whispered yelled at him as we landed, "I don't want Jet to know about my waterbending, or at least not the full extent!" I whispered  after covering his mouth.

I pulled my hand off his mouth cautiously,

"You good now? All calmed down?" I questioned him narrowly.

He nodded, albeit somewhat hesitantly. But, I'd take it over his shouting, and dangerous secret keeping.

"Fine, we'll talk about it tomorrow" he nodded after taking a calming breath.

I agreed and we made the somewhat long walk with Asura trailing behind with the rabbit still hanging from her mouth despite being given treats.

She hooted affectionately and caught the bottom of my outfit in her front left claw.

"What is it?" Sokka asked as I stopped.

"She wants me to skin, and de-bone the rabbit.." I groaned.

"Picky girl" I said affectionately and rubbed her head feathers fondly to which she purred in response.

"I can help" Sokka perked up, "we still have half an hour before dinner begins, and she never fully finishes the meat anyways. So you can use the leftover meat for her treats, along with the bones, then use the juices in a soup or for fishbait." Sokka said geniusly.

I nodded,

"That's a really good idea!" I said in aggreement, "what about the organs?" I asked,

"Fishbait" he answered simply.

I nodded,

We propelled down and onto the forest floor to de-skin the rabbit, so that she wouldn't choke when she ate it, the same reason as the bones.

Her stomach wasn't there quite yet to digest fur, and hair.

Sokka skinned the animal, and I prepares the meat, and removed each little bone.

It took longer than I would've liked but it was worth it.

We barely had enough time to clean up as I used my waterbending to take off any red areas.

I sucked the juice from the bones and put them in her treat pouch then put the juice in the gourd bottle labeled with the words, 'meat juice for cooking'.

I high fived Sokka and led Asura back to Appa where she lounged in the tree branches by the main platform. I wrapped everything away and put it on the pack Sokka carried.

"Trust me?" I offered my hand which he took without hesitation.

I smiled,

I focused on the water becoming solid beneath our feet in an invisible step,

"Step where I step" I said in concentration we weren't in the air yet so Sokka stared in confusion but nodded.

Please work or else I'll just look stupid....

---------

Soooo I hope you guys enjoyed this chapter! Stay safe and healthy my Bookworms, and have a good day! Until next time! I'll see y'all in the next one!
-Rose