Air Temple Part 2

Lyra's POV

We had been walking up a carved path for several minutes now as Katara quietly requested I scan the area for other people.

She guided me along the path as my vision went dark only able to focus on one heavy task at a time.

I leaned towards her catching nothing more than two small animals. One a small cat-owl and another, a winged lemur.

"Katara, there's nothing. At least nothing outside that I can latch onto." I frowned in a whisper as I spoke.

"Hey, what's wrong?" Aang asked noticing our glum expressions.

I opened my mouth to share the bad news when Katara jumped in.

"Nothing, her vision is just really bad right now." Katara lied.

Aang tilted his head.

"There's water everywhere.." Aang said looking at Katara oddly.

"Yeah, it's just she can't- uh- can't see well when- uh- when she has a headache!" Katara said finding an excuse.

I nodded in agreement as Sokka jumped in.

"So where do I get something to eat?" he asked as Aang ran ahead.

I sent an unimpressed look at his cover up but continued forward.

"You're lucky enough to be one of the first outsiders to ever visit an airbender temple and all you can think about is food?!" Katara exclaimed playing along. Though I expected this wasn't a cover up, knowing Sokka. But was unsurprised by his behavior.

"I'm just a simple guy with simple needs." He commented.

We soon stopped as we neared the edge of the cliff.

"So that's where my friends and I would play airball, and over there's where the bison would sleep, and.." Aang sighed sadly the temple feeling empty.

"What's wrong?" Katara asked.

"This place used to be full of monks, and lemurs, and bison. Now there's just a bunch of weeds. I can't believe how much things have changed."
Aang said his heart dropping.

"Sokka, airball game!" I whispered pushing him forward.

"So, uh this airball game, how do you play?" Sokka asked.

Aang's heart lifted.

Aang grew excited helping Sokka up onto the pole lining the ground as Aang explained the rules.

Sokka nodded warily standing in front of the goal.

Aang threw the ball into the air and sent a wave of air, the ball sending Sokka off his feet and through the goal. This being his seventh time.

"Aang seven, Sokka zero!" Aang cheered.

"Making him feel better is putting me in a world of hurt.." Sokka groaned now covered in snow.

He seemed to see something shuffling over.

"Katara, Lyra, check this out." Sokka whispered calling us over.

My heart dropped hoping I was wrong.

"Fire nation." Katara said in a bitter whisper.

Confirming my worst fears.

"We should tell him." Sokka stated straight forward.

"Aang there's something you need to see!" Katara called.

Her heart rate rose instantaneously. I jumped to my feet to avoid the coming snow after Aang answered a cheerful,

"Okay!"