Cinnamon

Vance Joy- Fire and the Flood, I have never found a song that fits Zuko and Lyra together like this one, and I love it! As usual not my song or video, and all that jazz. I hope you guys enjoy this chapter!
-Rose

-------------

3rd POV

Zuko stared down at Lyra with a look of adoration. The water in front of the ship slowed as they made it to the center of the storm.

His crew struggled to hold up the unconscious cat-owl and he ordered them to lay the animal in his chambers.

They did as requested, and he looked to his uncle, the storm subsiding.

"Hey, Uncle. I'm sorry" Zuko said apologetically.

Iroh placed a hand on his nephew's shoulder,

"Your apology is accepted" Iroh smiled genuinely, and turned returning back to the observation deck.

Suddenly the boat lurched forward, when a familiar bison rose from the waves, unharmed.

Zuko exchanged a determined look with the Avatar, and he noticed the male water tribe peasant looking down at him wide eyed. Clearly the siblings noticed Lyra within his arms.

The female peasant turned to her brother as Zuko noticed her lips moving in reassurance or at least that's what it looked like cause the boys shoulder went slack and he nodded.

Zuko narrowed his eyes at the tattooed boy, he'd get the Avatar one day. But today wasn't the day. For now he had to take care of Lyra. He'd always take care of her.

He watched as the group flew out of view, and he noted the nervous glance the Avatar sent towards Lyra.

Zuko nodded to himself, this was the one time he would let the Avatar get away.

Lyra stirred briefly, and curled into his chest, her hands were like ice compared to his own.

Zuko tensed briefly, but relaxed upon being hit with the most incredible smell.

The scent was exotic, smelling of the ocean, slightly earthy, and a hint of jasmine, with a dash of vanilla. It was heaven.

He pulled her in closer, so close he thought she might hear his drumming pulse. He wasn't sure if he'd done it to keep her warmer, or for himself.

Zuko carried her gently into his room, and put her on his bed beneath several blankets to ensure she got warmer, it was then that he realized her blindfold was soaked so he removed it, instead he grabbed a richly colored scarlet ribbon that he used as a belt. He singed the edges to prevent the fabric from pulling apart on the edges and tied it over her eyes.

He decided to meditate while she slept. His mind was a herd of ostrich horses, and he was it's tamer.

He stepped over the stirring cat-owl carefully. He would make no mistake, else he might lose his head.

The thought made him rub his neck uneasily, the thing was huge. Nearly twice his size in length and shoulder height if it stood.

He just hoped Lyra woke first.

Time passed slowly as he meditated, her intoxicating smell filled the room, and he took deep breaths. For once thankful for the deep breathing required for meditation.

His flames on his meditative candles flared whenever his heart jumped, wether from the massive animal, or the sound of Lyra as she stirred slightly.

Perhaps he should get the doctor. Yes, then he wouldn't risk filling the room with smoke.

He turned carefully, once more stepping over the beast that slept soundly on the floor.