Premonitions

Money Run Low- By The Score. As usual not my song or video just another video I was listening to while writing this chapter. Enjoy!

Lyra's POV

"But airbenders went extinct a hundred years ago, how could they have survived?" I spoke to Sokka in a shocked whisper.

Sokka didn't even glance back at me as he stared forward at the older man skeptically.

Aang froze in shock. His heart palpitated faster than it had before seconds ago. The light mood in the airy space had thickened into dense air.

The air was the densest by Aang, it felt like I was suffocating when I stepped closer.

I coughed a bit as I reached for Aang's shoulder.

"Hey Bud, you gotta snap out of-" I began.

It seemed the others were coughing as well.

"C'mon, let's go talk to Sokka, and Katara"

I paused to take a breath as the air returned to me,

"We can check tomorrow, no one's gonna be out at night" I proposed.

Aang nodded, his face still hung with shock.

"Okay" He agreed with a quick nod, upon this agreement the air returned to as it was before.

He dashed off with a light smile. Hope was strewn across his face like the bright banners that our dad used to hang at the small spiritual festival our village used to hold each year.

I followed Aang as Asura chirped curiously my side. She nibbled lightly on my hand to grab my attention.

"What Baby?" I cooed.

Asura gave a high pitched coo and rubbed my legs.

"You want attention, don't you?" I smiled.

Asura hooted happily in response as I paused walking to pet her.

I scratched her head and the base of her tail which only began her fit of purrs. She tried leaning on my shoulders but it only made me fall.

I laughed and caught myself on the ground before I could get crushed.

Asura clearly pleased from this result concluded that she would take no further attention without a sufficient reward.

I managed to get up and make my way over to Aang Katara and Sokka with Asura now much calmer.

Now that I was back with everyone my mind drifted to what Aang might be thinking.

Perhaps he was imagining a secret group of airbenders that never changed. Like the one's he grew up around.

Or maybe he was imagining the exact opposite, people that abandoned their cultures and tradition and became savages to survive.

Or maybe it was nothing more than a story made to impress.

Either way, I wasn't looking forward to the fruits we might yield.

Morning came the next day, slower than I would've wanted.

The night was dull. The air thick as I tossed and turned. My anxious mood and doomed thoughts clouded the air and my mind. I wasn't the only one either.

Katara and Sokka were sleeping fine. Sokka with his snoring, and Katara with her constant turning in her sleep.

Aang appeared unmoving, but he wasn't asleep. I think he was lost in thought.

I wouldn't admit it out loud, but I worried for him.

I couldn't keep my eyes closed, no matter how much I tried. Even Asura's gentle breathing couldn't relax my mind. It was like something was stalking my darkest thoughts and no matter how much I wanted to deny it, I knew who and what was the cause.

I finally sat up, feeling tired, yet unable to sleep.

I focused on helping Aang for now.

"Hey, Bud" I whispered.

Aang jumped on suprise and turned to his side to face me,

"Why are you awake?" He asked me.

I shrugged and answered simply,

"Can't sleep."

Aang nodded, deeming it an acceptable answer.

"Why are you awake?" I asked him, though I knew already.

"Do you think it's possible that other airbenders survived the attacks on the air temples?" He asked me hopefully.

I closed my eyes, I knew the answer I had was likely true but I couldn't bear to say it,

"I'm sure there are some out there, Aang" I smiled.

Aang grinned and nodded with relief and I felt my heart sink with guilt for lying to him. Although, someone had to have escaped besides him. They had to have avoided the traps, and the ambush.

Perhaps they were distant decendants.

The thought that some people might've survived was a small relief among my thoughts.

Aang relaxed and closed his eyes, it only took a minute for him to fall asleep.

I stood up, if I wasn't going to sleep then I would get breakfast stuff gathered.

I grabbed a bucket and a basket from our supplies and slipped into the woods.

I filled up the basket with berries I knew were safe and found some herbs and mushrooms.

My stomach growled so I took a few berries and ate until I was satisfied. I still had a lot of time. The nighttime chill had only just begun. I grabbed the bucket after I had filled up the basket with more fruit. The walk to the river was simple, I could hear the flow of the water.

I passed a bush when I heard a chirp. I froze and put more focus on lifeforms.

It was a good sized bird, it'd feed the group just fine.

I readied an icy spear and threw it at the bird. There was a suprised caw but I caught it now unmoving.

I allowed the ice spear to dizzolve and carried the bird in the bucket.

When I reached our camp I settled down next to the fire. Asura was awake, she whimpered as she saw me, her tail feathers were ruffled but relaxed upon my return.

She shot towards me, she did allow me to put everything down though.

I set the stuff down and she rubbed her head on my palm.

"What is it baby?" I cooed.

She seemed shaken and whimpered.

"It's okay now" I cooed in an attempt to relax her.

It worked eventually and she sat down at my side.

I grabbed the board from the basket which covered the fruit, and used it for the bird. I cleaned and prepped the bird using a hunting knife.

Asura hooted in curiosity when I was done cleaning. I gave her the parts that we didn't eat to please her which it did. She gave a hoot of appreciation and chowed down, I also threw in some berries and some cat grass I found for digestion.

She finished not long after I finished cleaning the bird.

I rubbed in some salt and allowed the bird to roast on the fire.

A sense of impending doom overcame my body like the crawl of a spider-centipede. My mind could only imagine a spear thrown through my shoulder as my body floated over a pool of fish the white one burned beneath me.

I stepped away from the fire as the doomed feeling ran like ice in my bloodstream and the image chilled me in the warm air.
The image of yin and yang sat engraved in my innermost thoughts.

--------------------------

Sooo I hope you guys enjoyed this chapter, it took a lot of rewrites but I realized I had to get something out. Sorry for the wait but I hope you guys liked it and I'll see you in the next one and until next time my Bookworms! Stay safe and healthy and I'll see y'all later!
-Rose