Airborne People

Protector by City Wolf. As usual not my song or video, just another song I was listening to while writing this chapter. I hope you guys enjoy!

Lyra's POV

"Good morning" Katara greeted as she yawned and stretched.

She turned to me seemingly caught off guard, "when did you go to bed?" She asked me.

I shrugged, "not long after Aang" I answered vaguely.

Katara hummed with narrow eyes,

"uh huh, the what-"

Sokka interrupted her startling both her me, and Aang who just barely woke up.

"What smells good?" He stated like a wild dog and sniffed the air.

I facepalmed and pointed on the other other side of the fire where the bird appeared to be cooked.

"Oh" Sokka stated in embarrassment, "I knew that, I just meant what else did you make?" Sokka straightened and grabbed a drumstick.

"Hot! hot! hot! hot!" He stated and tossed it between his hands. Once it had cooled he took a bite, chewed, then stated with a mouthful a warning to Katara and I, "It's hot" He warned unhelpfully.

"Really? I didn't notice!" Katara stated sarcastically as she grabbed a wing and a leaf from a large plant to act as a plate.

Aang yawned and pulled on his shirt and shoes,

"What'd you get me?" He asked politely.

I smiled at his manners and handed him the mushrooms I roasted with some nuts and salt with herbs to give it flavor and gave him some of the remaining berries and grabbed the food I had gotten at the river for Appa.

There were vegetables which I made sure were edible and gave the biggest bit to Appa. Momo took what remained which was a good amount and Asura ate some remaining berries with Momo.

I ate a bit of everything, enjoying the compliments for my cooking, and the chatter and appreciative growls from Appa and Momo, as well as a mix of hoots and purrs.

It didn't take long for us to get packed up and get ready. I shuddered at a thought that had kept me awake last night but forced the memory away.

Sokka noticed my tense posture,

"Are you okay?" He whispered in a brotherly tone.

I nodded, grateful he hadn't asked loudly.

"Do you wanna talk about it?" He asked.

I smiled and shook my head.

"How much sleep did you get last night?" He asked as we took off, Asuraflying next to us.

I shrugged,

"None" I whispered.

"You need to sleep. I'll make sure Aang and Katara stay quiet."

I nodded gratefully and pulled my sleeping bag from my pack and curled up next to the warmest mass of heat, that being Sokka.

Sokka relaxed and stretched his arm over my shoulder so I didn'tfly off if we stopped suddenly.

I closed my eyes as I allowed my waterbending to dizzolve to the back of my mind.

It didn't take long to fall asleep with the feeling of safety like a net. It must be the nightmares.. the nightmares keep me awake...

-

I'm not sure how long I dozed, it was a few hours at least. The sun was higher in the sky and Sokka had moved and replaced his arm with a pillow.

"-this is where they had the championships for sky bison polo."

"Do you really think we'll find airbenders?" Katara asked Sokka eagerly.

"Lyra said we might" Aang piped in.

"You want me to be like you or totally honest?" Sokka asked cynically.

"Are you saying I'm a liar" Katara scoffed slightly.

"I'm saying you're an optimist. Same thing, basically" Sokka shrugged indifferently.

I yawned and stretched bringing attention to me,

"Good morning" I greeted pleasantly.

Katara laughed a little bit, not in a condescending way, just that laugh that all siblings do when they miss a hint.

"What?" I asked not quite awake.

"It's noon" Katara answered simply.

"Oh" I answered unsure what to say, "Okay then, good afterno-" I was cut off by Aang as we seemingly arrived.

"Hey guys, look at this!" Aang shouted.

"What? Air temple time?" I asked simply.

Aang's excitement was short lived as his smile shrunk to a frown.

Katara on the other hand grinned for Aang,

"They really are airbenders!" She beamed.

I smiled along with it as Sokka's jaw dropped a bit.

"No, they're not" Aang frowned and fell back on Appa.

"What do you mean they're not? Those guys are flying!" Sokka stated trying to cheer him up.

I focused my waterbending on one person, it was hard but I did it. I looked closer at the way th blood moved in the chakra and compared it to Aang and Katara's chakra as well as Haru's from earlier. The chakra points lacked any forms of bending, and lacked the flow of energy needed to airbend.

"They're not?" I stated in confusion, "then how are they flying?"

"Gliding maybe, but not flying. You can tell by the way they move they're not airbending. Those people have no spirit" Aang stated a little coldly.

One flew a little close making me jump back in suprise and laughter spurted joyfully from the person's mouth.

"They seem pretty spirited to me" I stated in regards to the boy.

A smirk went over Aang's face and he jumped up with his glider and took air after the kid.

One glider flew in front of Asura and made her recoil with Appa.

I heard Sokka say something to Katara but I had already jumped over to Asura who cooed a kind greeting.

We pulled back and I strapped onto the saddle. I pulled myself closer to her and made a whistle to twist. We spun in the air like a drill and went through a cloud as I heard Aang yell,

"Nice one, Lyra!"

Asura fanned her wings out, gaining height and dove past Aang and the boy.

I unclipped myself from Asura as stood on her back once we reached a good height and jumped with a sharp whistle.

I laughed feeling the wind in my hair and opened my arms as Asura caught me.

I cheered as we landed on solid ground next to Aang and the boy.

A bunch of other people cheered and then clapped louder upon seeing Asura open her wings to their massive wingspan proudly.

I dismounted off Asura who scratched her ear, and tossed her a bone which she caught with a delighted hoot.

"That's hard to match" the boy complimented me.

I smiled at the compliment,

"Thanks, just a lot of practice" I stated and returned the compliment by saying,

"You too"

"Thanks!" The boy smiled and looked to Aang.

I nodded and took a breath of the mountain air.

The air temples didn't seem so bad..

----------

Soooo I hope you guys liked this chapter. I'm trying to make up for all the lost days but I hope this is alright. Stay safe and healthy my Bookworms and I will see y'all in the next one!
-Rose