Fever

Song is Ugly- By Nicole Dollaganger. It helps me when I feel self conscious, so I hope it helps some of you guys too. I love you guys!
-Rose

------------------

Lyra's POV

I sipped the tea as we made pleasant conversation. Iroh was an absolute angel, he'd brought a bowl for Asura and filled it with some hot unsalted fish broth.

Asura took it without any complaint and butted him affectionately in the arm as a thank you making him laugh.

"You've taught her manners. I must admit she had been taught well" Iroh praised making me blush at the praise.

"You're too kind, she learned that herself. But she has learned some basic tricks I've taught her" I explained.

Iroh leaned forward,

"What have you taught her?" Iroh asked. The child-like curiosity made me laugh.

Suddenly my laughter turned to painful spasming coughs.

I leaned heavily on my arms to hold my weight or else I'd fall back.

Iroh immediately put the tea down and leapt to my side.

I laughed croakily,

"Heh, guess I'm not immune to freezing water afterall.." Self deprecating humor, I love it.

My stomach turned to a rapid storm and I backed into the wall,

"Sorry, Iroh. This is really bad timing" I laughed bitterly.

Iroh shook his head,

"Don't worry, my friend" he assured me.

His hand pulled my hair back, and he supported my back.

I fell into a fit of coughs, and when it finally paused I was exhausted.

"You said Zuko would be here with a doctor, right?" I said gathering my fading voice.

Iroh nodded,

"Yes, they should be here very soon." Iroh assured me.

I shivered,

"Why is it so cold in here?" I said between chattering teeth.

"Cold? Wait-" Iroh placed his wrist to my forehead and his hand was warm.

"If you'll excuse me. I'll go get my nephew" Iroh stated leaving no room for argument.

He closed the door and I heard his steps go speedily down the corridor.

Asura was passed out, she was doing alright, good.

I slumped against the wall when my shivers turned to desert heat.

I fanned my face with my hands and I dripped with sweat as I breathed heavily.

My coughing returned and I allowed myself to fall into the bed. My clothes were dry but smelled of nauseating saltwater.

I heard a knock and I answered,

"Come in"

It sounded more like a whisper but the door still opened.

Three figures came in, one of which I recognized as Zuko.

He immediately was at my side and the other man in the group approached Asura carefully.

He carried a small bag, he must be some sort of animal specialist or something like that.

"Are you okay, Lyra?" He asked me.

I answered with a nod but it didn't seem to do anything but make him bite his lower lip anxiously.

"I'm alright" I tried to gather the last remainder of my voice.

It still cracked, but it was the best I could do right now.

"Lyra, this is the ships doctor. She's a trained physician, and will get you cleaned up, and feeling better. She's already set up a bed for you in the medical room so she can make sure you get better. Her name is Doctor Liu." He introduced me gently.

I pushed myself up, but Zuko wouldn't let me.

I opened my mouth to protest but my diaphragm ran out midsentence.

"Nice to meet you Dr. Liu I wish we could meet on better terms but here-" my voice gave  out.

Dr. Liu waved me off,

"Don't worry dear, rest your voice." Dr. Liu said softly.

I nodded mouthing,

'sorry"

'Where's Iroh?' I mouthed to Zuko"

"Where's- Iroh?" He asked and I nodded, "he's making tea for your cough." Zuko explained.

I slumped guiltily,

'Sorry' I apologized.

Zuko shook his head quickly,

"No need to apologize, Lyra. He's needed someone to test it on for awhile now. He needed a guinea pig, and you're just in time." Zuko smirked.

I paled, test?

Zuko must've noticed my pale expression, because immediately he reassured me that the worst that could happen, and I quote- "it could taste gross".

I stuck out my tongue at him teasingly which he returned.

I didn't realize it but the doctor spoke,

"Okay, I've wrapped your feet, they had several scratches. Now, Prince Zuko, I'm afraid you can't be in here for the next part." She flinched expecting anger.

"Will it make her get better faster?" Zuko weighed the options, he nodded.

"Okay, but call me in when you're done." Zuko stated hesitantly.

His anger seemed to dissolve with his anxiety.

I heard the door close behind him, and I noticed Asura was gone

Liu seemed to notice and patted my shoulder in reassurance,

"She's with our animal caretakers, she's in good hands, as are you."

I nodded taking a shaky breath,

"Good, now let's get you to a bath. Do you mind if I remove your clothes, and the blindfold? If I don't they'll get in the way." She said gently.

I was hesitant, but I trusted Zuko. So I trusted this woman, I answered with a nod.

"I'll help you sit up. It looks like you have what I'd call a flash fever. It happens when you overexhert your bending abilities, and or you push both your mental, and physical state to its limit." She hummed thoughtfully,

"Any aches?" She asked, to which I nodded.

"Where?"

I pointed to my back, legs, and arms.

"Are you a bender?" I nodded again.

"What type? I highly doubt it but 1 finger up is air, 2 fire, 3 earth, and 4 is water." I held up four.

"Okay then, here's the plan, I'm going to give you a quick exam. I'll check for anything bad, and check your bones. Does that sound alright?" She asked to which I nodded but made a continue motion.

"And uh- we'll bathe you and get you in some clean clothes, and then I'll give you see medicine for your cough, and fever. Then you'll sleep for a bit then I'll give you some water, and if you can keep it down for say- two hours, you can have some fish broth, and if you can keep that down you'll get some miso soup, and we'll just continue to rice and solid food." She said simply.

Sounded easy enough..

--------

Soooo I hope you guys enjoyed this chapter. I actually quite enjoyed writing it as I'm working on another book (from my personal writing that I don't publish) and it's at a really unexciting part. Anyways, I hope you guys have a great day and stay safe and healthy! Bye my Bookworms, and I'll see y'all in the next one!
-Rose