The Town

Alexander 23- IDK You Yet. As usual not my song or video. Just another song I was listening to while writing this chapter. I hope you guys enjoy this chapter!
-Rose

-----------------

Lyra's POV

We landed by the town hidden within the grove of trees.

We ran into the town. I let Sokka take the lead, he was the best public speaker. At least better than me..

Asura stayed on Appa's saddle, at least until shouts rang out. Fire nation soldiers had us cornered and a old man jumped to our defense.

"Water tribe spies!" Accused one soldier much to my annoyance.

"We're not spies!" I yelled with my hands up.

A spears tip brushed my neck. Blood beaded to the surface steadily. If I took just a wrong breath I'd likely end up with a quick death.

Sokka kicked the spear away and I breathed in relief. He stood in front of me protectively.

"Are you okay, Lyra?" He whispered to me without turning to face me.

I nodded,

"Yeah, I'm fine. Just get the villagers to safety" I answered audibly.

Asura had arrived and leapt in front of us with a dangerous hiss at the people who had us cornered.

I reached out to her,

"Shhhhh, it's okay." I soothed her and brushed my hand over her wing closest to me.

Her back relaxed somewhat but her feathers continued to bristle upwards.

The old man recognized Sokka and he dived through the soldiers.

"Stop! This is the boy who saved me from the crazy hooksword guy!" The old man said and stepped in front of Sokka.

The soldiers relaxed somewhat and parted to get us from the corner.

Asura whimpered and she stumbled as the adrenaline faded and her infected leg grew further inflamed.

I was quick to catch her but in an instant another soldier dropped her spear.

She caught Asura's weight as I cushioned her fall.

Sokka looked at me worriedly then to Asura.

I shook my head and made a shooing motion.

The lady helped me with Asura and motioned me towards a healing hut smelling of medicinal herbs.

I was hesitant and spaced my bending out to its maximum. I saw no bodies or large spots of water within the hut besides a teapot boiling over into a fire.

The teapot was taken off the fire and the woman shed herself of the armor. Her arm was missing..

I stood akwardly as she dug through shelves until she found what she was looking for.

I removed the blindfold and pulled from La's vision.

The woman carried a rounded creamy face, although her skin had tanned, likely from working in the sun. Her lips were shaped in a natural bow, and her eyes

I scanned her, tan, dark hair a dark rich brown, she wasn't heavy but she carried a little bit of healthy weight. She had her arm on her right side missing at her elbow where the skin had grown over but left a lighter patch. Where her elbow joint was connected a arm of earth. It moved like a normal arm, possibly better than a normal arm. She worked carefully as her amber colored eyes narrowed, and her fingers worked quickly. Assessing the wound that bridged across Asura's hip and reached about midway across her left thigh. Half an inch deep at the deepest part.

Pus leaked from the wound like toxic sludge. She injected Asura with a numbing agent using a shifting glass cube around the wound. The woman gently chipped away at the scab until it was gone. She motioned for me to sit down by Asura who stared in wonder, and curiosity from the numb sensation in her thigh.

I sat at her side and watched quietly in amazement as she worked and removed the infection with great success. She steralized the wound and wrapped it.

Finally her hunched shoulders relaxed and her lips shaped up in a relaxed smile.

"You can ask your questions now. I can tell you have many" she motioned  for me to speak.

I nodded in shock, how had she known?

"How did you do that? Why are you so relaxed? You know those are fire nation soldiers, right?" I rambled.

The woman laughed in a voice like a silk ribbon, deep, but holding a sweet, silky melody.

"I am a animal caretaker, I care for the villagers animals when they get sick." She explained, "you are correct to assume that they are fire nation soldiers. However, they hold no loyalty to the fire lord. Many were snatched from the streets in the fire nation to be trained as a soldiers, they hold no loyalty to Ozai, although they do hope and dream of a day when General Iroh takes Ozai's position. Although, the reason for my armor is to stay hidden. That way I'm not taken to some fire nation prison when the commander comes by to collect taxes." She finished.

Her voice carried a richness to it, and a warmth.

"Also, how did you bend your arm like that? And the glass cube thing?" I asked quickly.

"Slow down, now. I'm an earth bender, but I grew up in a tribe of sand benders where I learned how to bend sand then branched it out into glass that's were my mother became pregnant with me" she said and showed me how she had done it by making the glass shatter then reform into a cube.

I gaped but snapped back to the present when the familiar old man ran in.

"Yuka, the crazy hookswords guy intends to flood the valley. We have to get to safety!"

"Grandfather! Slow down, remember what I told you about running on that hip!" She chided him.

"Wait." I stopped her, in confusion "he's your grandfather? But he's fire nation!" I stated but covered my mouth a moment to late.

Yuka turned to glare at me, and I shifted in my seat uncomfortably beneath her cold glare,

"What does that have to do with anything?" She growled in a low voice, no longer warm.

"I-I'm sorry! I just- I didn't mean to offend you both- I just thought that-" I bowed my head feeling ashamed of myself. I thought that I would never be allowed to marry into another nation because of my water tribe blood, so that must mean... my eyes sparked but dropped instantly. He'd never date me..

The man placed a hand on his granddaughters shoulder, his eyes seeming to twinkle in amusement,

"Calm yourself, my dear" he said to Yuka, "this girl did not mean to offend us. In fact, rather, I think someone has a lover from another nation, just like your mother, did my stubborn son-in-law of mine. Is that right, dear?" He asked me with a wink, as I blushed and nodded quickly.

"Now, we must go. Where is that dear husband of mine?" He mused humorously.

He turned and left leaving an awkward moment between the two of us.

"Sorry" Yuka rubbed her neck with a sheepish smile, "it's just whenever visitors come by they seem disgusted from my fire nation ancestry-" she continued. I waved her apology away, I should've thought before I spoke, I gave her a smile,

"That's alright. I've had worse." I said

Asura seemed much better luckily, and Yuka's grandfather found his husband weaving leaves together with flowers just outside the village into a crown. Yuka's grandfather (the one I had just met) sighed at his spouses antics as his spouse turned to him and placed the flower crown on his head.

I watched as the two men kissed, and I hoped that whoever I loved would look at me the way those two did once they had separated. The look of deep love was warm and soft in my heart, I only wish it was a look meant for me. I felt myself longing for the taste of chocolate and cinnamon.

---------

Soooo I hope you guys enjoyed this chapter! Stay safe and healthy and have a great day my Bookworms! I'll see y'all in the next one. Until next time!
-Rose