Air Temple Part 1-

Took awhile, but I hope you guys enjoy!
-Rose
-------
Lyra's POV

I stretched my body, the rest of the group asleep.

I had slept a little bit. But the nightmares had ruined it.

It was difficult to see with my bending as the water vapor was pushed past us.

"Hey, Appa." I greeted the bison. Climbing onto his head carefully.

The bison gave a gentle roar as response.

"What is it like? You know to see?" I asked the bison, doubting Appa would respond. He didn't.

"Has the sky changed? What are the stars like?" I asked aloud mainly to myself.

"Is it still the same blue I'd seen when I was young? Do the stars shine just as bright as they did years ago?" I murmured.

I caressed Appa, feeling the course fur beneath my hands.

I looked upward, wishing I could see the stars.

Even as I removed the blindfold my world stayed black. White spots flying past me in my minds eye.

"You know, they say that you don't know how much you have until it's gone." I said my voice sounding wispy.

"When I was younger I didn't realize what I had. I didn't understand it. Nowadays I realize how much I did have. How much I have now." I told Appa who flew forward seeming to know where he was going, my thought drifting to my siblings, and Aang.

"Aang's gonna be heartbroken.." I said thinking to the air temples.

Appa growled softly.

"I know. But I can't help but worry that he won't be the same." I spoke to Appa. I closed my eyes, and tipped my head back taking a breath of the thin air.

"I wonder if the colors I know have changed.. you know?" I shrugged.

"I haven't seen color in years.." I spoke my voice lost in the wind.

I thought of red. It used to be vivid and bright but had significantly dulled and seemed almost ashy, a reddish brown color.

"You know Appa, when I was little I loved the colors orange and yellow. I hated blue as I saw it so much. But the reds, oranges, and yellows were warm and different from what I was used to. I was made fun of by the older boys for being weird. Everyone hated those colors. I assume because of the fire nation. But I loved fire. It was warm, unlike the cold blues surrounding me." I spoke softly and continued.

"I could've stared at the fire watching with fascination for hours. But after our village was attacked... well, I hated those colors. I did for several months after. But now, I'd give anything to see it again." I said speaking to myself, folding my hands behind my head.

Appa didn't respond. I didn't really expect him to anyways.

"I mean I can feel the warmth. But it's not the same. The colors are gone. My world is black, and white. It's quite dull." I frowned.

"Gran Gran used to scold me. She often said I was lucky to be able to waterbend in order to see. But I never felt lucky." I stopped, tears falling down my face.

"Sorry, Appa. I let myself drift.." I apologized wiping away the tears.

Appa growled. I stroked his fur.

Leaning against the saddle. Sleep began to pull me away.

I pulled the blanket up.

Feeling lighter. Like I was floating in a large pool of water.