The Fire Festival

8 Graves- RIP (Nightcore), Syrex. As usual not my song or video, just another song I was listening to while writing this chapter, I hope you guys enjoy!
-Rose
____________

Lyra's POV

Somehow we had wormed our way into the festival. Asura was with Appa so we wouldn't be recognized, and we had gotten masks. I stayed behind as we had found a wanted poster of Aang, and kept my waterbending focused on the group.

Katara returned with one that was shaped much like a cat. I smiled, and placed the mask over my face. It was bearable, I did appreciate the fact that it was a cat.

Sokka had not stopped complaining about food when I reached them. Aang finally saw a stand after we walked around for a few minutes.

"Hey there's some food" Aang said, pointing to a stand.

"Finally!" Sokka grumbled and raced up to the stand with a copper coin in hand.

"What do you have?" Sokka asked eagerly.

"Flaming fire flakes, best in town" the vendor informed politely,

"I'll take 'em" Sokka stated before I could stop him.

"Sokka-" I warned him, but it was too late. He had stuffed his face.

Immediately blood rushed to his face,

"Mmm! Hot! Hot!" He gasped and took off his mask to fan his burning tongue.

"Flaming fire flakes, hot" Katara stated, and I followed,

"Flaming. Fire. Flakes. What did you think they were gonna be, sweet? sour?" I questioned him sarcastically, raising my eyebrows at him with an unimpressed eye roll.

"You can be so daft sometimes" I smiled teasingly. I picked a coin from my pouch and ran my finger across the surface of the coin to find it as a copper coin,

"Here" I stated tossing him the coin, "there's a vendor selling pork sirloin kebabs, ask for the sauce on the side" I motioned with my empty kebab stick (I had gotten it while waiting for the masks).

Sokka licked his lips and I plucked the pouch of fire flakes from his hands, while the fire flakes vendor look at us with a befuddled expression.

I grabbed a small handful of the fire flakes and popped them through the opening in my mask. The spicy seasoning passed my lips leaving them with a burning tingling in my lips. The flakes met my tongue, and I was decently suprised to find that it was actually quite spicy.

I loved it!

I groaned in pleasure, and complimented the vendor who beamed seeing my delight.

"It's delicious!" I gushed happily.

Katara, and Aang looked at each other with a look that could only mean they didn't want any.

Sokka returned as I was halfway done, he was clearly happy with my suggestion and handed me the spicy sauce which I poured over the flakes.

We walked around a bit, and Aang spotted a puppet show meant for some children.

My smile slowly dropped as the show first began,

"Don't worry, loyal citizens, no one can surprise the firelord!" Reassured the Firelord Ozai puppet.

Another puppet with some sort of thing rose up.

The Firelord Puppet made no moves as the children yelled words of warnings about an earth bender.

The Ozai puppet twisted around, spraying a jet of fire from the puppets mouth to hit what I presumed to be the enemy puppet that popped up.

The children cheered, and I could only shudder when realization hit me that these children were likely on the same side as the violence, and from their reactions, the supporters. The firelord wasn't wasting anything to put out his propaganda.

My mouth went dry with horror. The man controlling the puppets bowed, in turn the children cheered.

"Um, guys, I don't think we should stay here for much longer" I suggested, clearly sounding paranoid.

"Hey, what's that?" Aang pointed towards a large crowd gathered around a stage.

"Aang, hold on. Where are we going?" Katara asked sounding equally as paranoid as me.

"I don't know..." Aang trailed thoughtfully,

"But there's a big crowd, it must be good!" Aang grinned excitedly.

"Knowing the fire nation, it's in probably an execution" Sokka stated sarcastically.

I elbowed him and paused with Sokka on my flanks.

My caution, and my hesitation was well paid when the person on the stage ceased the fiery show to find a volunteer.

"What's wrong, Lyra?" Sokka asked me in concern.

"I- don't know" I stated honestly, "but I know something bad is about to happen" I explained as we reconnected with the group.

Aang had his hand raised excitedly, and Sokka smacked it down,

"What do you think you're doing?" Sokka whispered scoldingly.

"I wanna get a closer look at that trick!" Aang explained childishly.

This time it was my turn to scold him,

"Aang, we can't have you recognized. Do you know how bad it would be if someone in our group was chosen?!" I whispered.

My words were cut off as the man pointed towards Katara,

"How about you little lady?" He offered.

Katara shook her head, and stepped back

"Uh-" Katara began.

"Aw, she's shy. Let's give her some encouragement folks!" The preformer prompted, making the crowd shift, Katara was pushed forward, and the blood from my face drained in horror.

"Oh shit!" I whispered hoarsely.

Katara looked back at us uneasily as the preformer lifted her onto the stage.

"Aw, that could've been me" Aang pouted.

"Good thing it wasn't, just stay calm, Katara. It's just an act, it's not real." I whispered to myself, despite the fact that she couldn't hear me over the crowd.

Suddenly goosebumps covered my body, as I felt someone staring at me.

I scanned the area, and found what it was. Or rather, who it was. The cloaked figure disappeared into the crowd, and I had to fight back my mind yelling to chase down the figure, and find out if they meant harm.

I didn't make chase, instead my jaw dropped in horror as a serpentine creature made of fire was created, and scattered the water in the air upon contact.

The preformer acted as if he was losing control, but Katara's heart was racing in horror as the so called rope "broke". I knew it wouldn't hurt her, but the memory of the fire burning my eyes was stamped into my mind.

I closed my eyes, and gritted my teeth. I was frozen in horror as the memories of the fire resurfaced. I could smell the burning skin, the raw pain, and burning hair. The screams, as my mom's body fell through the ice, The icy chill I felt, as if my body had been dipped in the water, my nerves burning away, and then the sound of the ice freezing over, as if nothing happened.

I could only pray,

"Not Katara, please not Katara, please..."

_________

Sooo I hope you guys enjoyed this chapter! Perhaps a bit of a cliffhanger, but don't worry about it. I'll update again this Tuesday. Have a wonderful day and I y'all are staying safe and healthy. I love y'all and I hope you have a wonderful day! See ya in the next one!
-Rose