105. Reality is the nightmare of my dreams

Kol's P.O.V.

Lying on my side, I have one arm under my head while the other one is circling Gillian to keep her close to me. It's mid-day and we've been at Nicklaus' since very early this morning. The trip on our way to New Orleans was long and pretty silent. Gillian mainly stared at the road as Meryll was occupying herself as best as she could or sleep. I didn't want to ask my fiancée questions or force her to talk to me. Whatever happened at the Boarding House is still fresh in her mind. I still can't believe what Stefan and the others did to Katherine and Nadia... But I don't think that's all that happened over there. I feel like there's something else going on. I'm sure she hasn't told me everything yet... I just hope she will at some point... I just want to help her. Meryll slept during most of the trip. But I can tell she senses that something isn't right with Gillian. And I feel each and every ounce of her emotions. It's suffocating... Honestly, I don't know how she can hold onto so much. I knew she was strong, I never doubt that, but this suffocating feeling is just so, so deep... It's a whole another level.

Staring at her angelic face, I delicately run my hand in her back. I know I am one lucky guy to be able to marry her. After 1.000 of years, living most of my time in a coffin, who would have thought I would have find someone like her? She's just so perfect to my eyes, even if she doesn't want to believe it. I love everything about her, even what she doesn't like and her flaws. Everything... And seeing her in so much pain, feeling such emptiness in her, hurts me. I just want her to be happy for once in her life, without any trama following and ruining that happiness. That's all I wish...

Suddenly, as I was deep in my thoughts and worried, I felt my fiancée slightly moving. Her eyes are still closed... Oh never mind.

- Hey, Gorgeous, I whisper with a gentle smile, how do you feel? I ask her gently as she looks up at me with sleepy eyes. I can see that she is a bit surprised to still see me with her. I think she would have thought that I would have left her to let her sleep in peace. But I couldn't bring myself to leave her side. I want to be there for her every second.

- I'm okay, she whispers back as she closes her eyes once again. "Okay"... I don't think you are, Darling, but I let you lie about this for now.

Gillian stretches against me as she hides her head in my neck, finding comfort. I hold her tighter against me and place a delicate and meaningful kiss on her cheek. I feel her cracking a smile before she places a small kiss in my neck. I smile back, enjoying our little moment together. But it didn't last long... Gillian pulls away and sits on the side of the bed. What is she doing? I watch her passing her hand through her hair as I sit upright as well. She grabs her phone on the nightstand and glance at her screen. I can't see her face, but I can tell she feels disappointed... Hurt. No one has tried contacting her ever since we left Mystic Falls. Even if it has just been a day, I think she was hoping that someone would have tried to stop her from leaving. But no one did... Not even her family...

- They'll call. You'll see, baby, I tell her with a comforting tone before placing a soft kiss on her shoulder. Gillian puts her phone back down and lets a loud sigh out.

- I doubt they are even thinking about me, Kol, but... Never say never, right? Especially vampires who can't die naturally, she tells me, cracking a smile. I nod and faintly smile back. She doesn't even believe in her words... Without saying a word, my future wife stands up and walks towards my bathroom. I get up as well and slowly approach the bathroom door. I lean against the wall and watch her getting undressed. Her eyes look as sad as ever... Her corners of her lips barely manage to slightly rise up to form a smile... They really stabbed her in her back like never before. Suddenly, I notice Gillian staring at naked self in the mirror, her eyes going up and down as if she is criticizing herself. What...? Why? I've never seen her doing this before... I stand from the wall and join her. I circle her waist from behind and place a kiss in her neck before resting my chin on her shoulder.