47. Smoky Mountain of hell

Damon's P.O.V.

I'm in my bedroom removing all the notes, maps, and newspaper cuttings from my closet and listening to the TV news. Last night was a nightmare and I feel like I still haven't wake up from it. Since the brunette discovered my closet last night, she kept calling me and I keep dodging her calls. But knowing her she might come here soon. I don't know where Gillian is at or even if she is alright. I called her at least thirty times, if not more but she never answered my calls either. I know I was wrong last night but I don't know how to do right between my niece and Elena. It has never been my forte. I sigh and dial Gillian's number again as I listen to the reporter talking on TV.

- Whether suicide, or a tragic accident, WPKW News has lost one of its shining stars. Field reporter and weekend anchor Andie Star was discovered... tells the woman reporter but I quickly stop listening when I hear the beeping sound to let a message on my niece voicemail.

- Hey Boo, it's.. your worst and dumbest uncle calling you for the umpteenth time. Look, I'm.. not good at talking, we all know that, but last night was quiet crazy and.. I lost it. Please, come back home so we can talk. Or at least call me to let me know that you're alive and safe. I'm worried. Love you, Boo, I hang up as I take some more notes off the door of the closet when I hear someone entering my bedroom. I roll my eyes and don't turn to look at her. Just can't stay away, can you? I ask to the brunette while frowning and taking note down roughly.

- You've been dodging my calls, states Elena, trying to sound mad but fails.

- Yeah, well, busy dating a dead fake girlfriend, lost my niece and all, I respond annoyed and upset.

- Why didn't you tell me? questions Jeremy's sister, sounding half guilty.

- Happy Birthday, Elena. Stefan killed Andie. Gillian ran away from home, making me the worst uncle, the worst protector an the worst "baby-sitter", I turn to her and walk passed the brunette as she looks at me chocked. Cake? I ask with sarcasm.

- He called me, Damon, replies Elena in a whisper. I stop walking and turn around to face her.

- What? I ask with disbelief and confusedness.

- Stefan called me last night, repeats the girl as she stares at me.

- Well, what'd he say? I ask, trying to sound like it doesn't affect me.

- He didn't say anything, but it was him, I arc a brow. I asked Sheriff Forbes if she would trace the call's origin. It came from Tennessee.

- Where he's binge drinking on the country folk. We went through this, Elena. Stefan's gone. I don't mean geographically, I smile fakely to the human brunette before throwing the document into the fireplace. I take the little box containing the matches and take one.

- If he was gone, he wouldn't have called, Elena half sighs and half scoffs before walking out of my bedroom. I light the match I have between my fingers and throw it into the fireplace, which starts burning immediately. I sigh and take my phone to try to call Gillian again.

Gillian's P.O.V.

I woke up this morning with the light of the sun on my face and hearing my cellphone vibrating. I roll on the sofa and grab my phone to see who is calling me. Uncle Damon... of course. I sigh and hang up the call not wanting to talk to him. I roll back on my back and pass my hand over my face. Last night was a living hell and rough. I'm glad Alaric is here because if he wasn't, I wouldn't have anywhere to go and anyone to talk. Last night, the teacher let me borrow one of his t-shirt so I can sleep comfortably on his sofa. He gave me a cover and one of his pillow. I sit up when my phone vibrates again. Who is it again? Uncle Damon. I sigh and hang up again. I stand up, fold the cover and walk to the kitchen to make some coffee. Alaric is still asleep. Well, while the coffee is making, I think I should go take my shower. At least it will kill time. I enter the teacher's bathroom and lock it to be sure that he doesn't enter. How awkward it would be... I take his shirt off and go under the hot water. Such a nice feeling. The hot water running down my cold skin as I can't stop thinking of what happened last night. I hope Uncle Damon won't come here. I don't want to see him right now. I don't want to talk to him yet. After half an hour, I get out of the shower, take a towel that I find in the bathroom furniture and envelope myself in it. I stare at myself in the mirror, losing track of time when I hear someone knocking at the front door. Please, tell me it isn't Damon. I stay quiet in the bathroom.