93. Memories... my lifetime diary

Gillian's P.O.V.

I slowly walk back toward the shed I am sharing with Kol and Meryll. Tonight was horrible... A true living nightmare! Every time I get excited about something, every time I only see the good for a moment, one tiny thing comes in the way and takes that happiness from me... Well, it wasn't that tiny tonight. Between Kol and I arguing, Damon staking me, dad... Dad forgetting me. I never thought I would ever say that one day... Nor live that... Since I was born, I was used to the thought that my dad would never grow old and so would never have had a problem such as forgetting me, like having some sort of Alzheimer... It's frightening and it hurts... Imagine having the person you respect the most, love the most and look up to the most, standing right before you but he or she doesn't budge or say a word to you or even just don't remark you nor care about you because you do not mean anything anymore to him or her. I do not mean anything anymore to my own father... Just the thought of that makes me feel cold. I reach the front porch of the shed, a new and silent tear rolling down my face. I slowly sit on one of the steps, one of my hand still over my stomach where Uncle Damon staked me. I'm all healed now, but... Just the memory of that feeling is painful. I need to talk... But to who? I take my phone out and look at the time. 3:08 a.m.... Who could be up at this time? A new tear rolls down my face as I see my screen being just a blur. I want Caroline... I press on her name and wait for my best friend to pick up her phone. Voicemail... I sigh and call her again, but I fall on her voicemail again...

- "Hey Care... I-I know it's late and you must be asleep but... Things are complicated here right now and... I needed to talk to my best friend... But it can wait until the morning. Just call me back, please? I love you, Care..." I hang up my phone, passing one of my hand through my hair. When I said that I needed to talk to my best friend, I accidentally let a sob out. I know she'll hear it in the voicemail and will probably be worried... But I'm so hurt and lost... I don't know what to do... I look back at my phone and scroll through all my contact. Oh... It's been so long since I talked to him... 3 months now... I miss him... I wonder if he is still up right now? He made a promise to me a long time ago and I need him to keep it right now... I press on the name, hoping the man will pick up his phone...

- Love, my favorite-future-sister-in-law! It's quiet late, how come you're still up? I hear the familiar voice of Niklaus exclaiming with joy as I can hear music in the background. He must be walking through the streets of New Orleans... I smile, but grimace sadly at the same time. I stay quiet for a moment at first, feeling two warm thick tears streaming down both my cheeks.

- Nik... You remember when you said that you could be any figure for me when I need it? I ask him with a cracking and sad voice, looking up at the sky while taking a deep and shaky breath in and out. Well, I need you to be any of those figures for five minutes if you have some time? I tell him with a sad tone, my voice still cracking as I didn't even let him time to reply back.

- Did Kol hurt you? He immediately asks me with a serious tone, sounding like he is ready to run back to Mystic Falls just to lecture his youngest brother.

- No, he... We argued but we're fine. He's fine. It's... It's dad, Nik, I answer to the Original Hybrid while instinctively placing my hand over the necklace dad offered me.

- I don't understand, Love. I need you to talk and be more precise, he tells me seriously, yet, with a soft voice. In the background, I can hear that the music slowly ceases, like he walked away from it.

- Dad was gone all summer... Silas locked him up in a safe and let him drown in the Quarry for three months... I turned off my emotions all summer because I thought he was dead... And then, I learned he was alive, but a witch hurt him, Nik... She messed with his brain and now, he doesn't remember anything, he... He... He... I explain to Niklaus with a crying voice, the pain clearly heard in it. I just can't control it anymore...