6. Who are you ?

Three days have passed since the Founder's party. Dad and I haven't went to school since then so we could watched out Damon in the cellar. Uncle Zach helped us too but I always hate when he goes to the cellar alone because he is human which makes him an easy target for Damon. Uncle Damon is getting weaker and weaker every seconds and days. It hurts to see my family like this but with everything that my uncle's done, he receives the consequences. I walk down to the cellar, where my father and my uncle are. I stand beside my father who remarks me instantly.

- Where is my ring? asks weakly, my uncle with a low voice and laying on the floor.

- Won't be needing it anymore, answers, my father, emotionless.

- How long have I been here?

- Three days, Uncle Damon, I answer this time. He doesn't seem to get that I just talked to him and not my father.

- What are you doing?

- During the dark ages when a vampire's actions threatened to expose or bring harm upon the entire race, they would face judgment. They sought to reeducate them rather than to punish them, explains, my dad. I grimace at the thought of the feeling it could be.

- You know what will happen if I don't... feed on blood.

- You'll grow weaker and weaker. Eventually you won't be able to move or speak. In a week your skin will desiccate, and you'll mummify. I grimace again to the thought of it. A living corpse. Unable to hurt anyone. Ever.

- So what, you're just going to leave me in the basement, forever?

- I've injected you with enough vervain to keep you weak. Once your circulation stops, I'll move you to the family crypt, and then in 50 years, we can reevaluate.

- I'm stronger than you think.

- You always have been. But you're not stronger than the vervain. And we both know it. I'm sorry. Didn't have to be this way. My dad pushes me gently and the both of us return upstairs. I go grab my school bag in my room and run to the kitchen where Uncle Zach is. I hug him before my dad enters the room, his school bag on his shoulder.

- Uncle Damon is awake. He's weak though, but it's probably best to stay out of the basement. He's Damon. I'm not sure how dangerous he still might be, I say drinking a blood bag. Dad comes beside me with his red bag on his shoulder.

- The both of you are going to school? Questions, Zach, looking at my father then I.

- Came here to live a life. It's about time we get back to that. And Elena, if she's still speaking to me, he sounds heart-broken. He really loves her.

- Why haven't you called her dad? I question while throwing the blood bag away.

- What am I suppose to do, feed her another lie, Lilou? I hate lying to her. I'm not good at it. She already thinks I'm hiding something. I nod, understanding what he means. It must be hard for him.

- What choice do you have? You came here because you wanted to live as normal a life as you could, replies, Uncle Zach. You knew this was going to be a part of it. Dad exits the room... angry? I kiss Zach's cheek and run after my father. We enter his car and he drives to school. I hope I'll see Jeremy today, I texted him during those three days but he never replied to me.

Dad parks in the school parking lot and stops the engine. He doesn't move and stays on his seat quietly, staring at the wheel. I look at him before puting a hand on his arm. My father turns his head to meet my eyes and smiles lightly. I haven't told him that the night at the Founder's party, I told Elena that he really loves her and would do anything to see her happy. But does he really need to know? I don't think so. I exit his car to leave him few minutes alone and walk to the school. It feels weird to come back after three days, though, nothing seems to have changed. Footballers are always so loud, cheerleaders are giggling, and so on. I go to my locker and remark Elena talking with Bonnie. She looks as sad as my dad does. I take my book when someone closes my locker.